Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-12 > 0883451325

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: Charley Read 's PA Whisky
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 19:08:45 -0800

Hi guys,

GREAT Thread on moonshining. This appears to be a Scotch Irish
talent! I had no idea about all the whisk...eh....uisce breatha
being made in Western PA. It's hard not to repost it all to
the Irish genweb list.

Makes me want some Black Label Bushmills too. Can any of you really
tell me if this stuff is as good as Bushmills Black Label???? I
suspect not. I haven't drunk anything else since I discovered it
(that's about 1 bottle a year).

> "Nearly all the barley in the north-west was grown for making whiskey and
> by the 1780's there were no fewer than forty legal distillers in Co.
> Londonderry, with Coleraine second only to Dublin in importance."

Now we know where we learned how to make the stuff....

> Later in the same paragraph ..."the making of illegal poteen flourished in
> the north-west, particularly on the Inishowen penisula and at Magilligan,
> where stills could be hidden behind the dunes ... The Ordnance Survey of
> 1835 reckoned that thirty years earlier there were no fewer than four
> hundred illicit stills operating in Magilligan alone, and in 1791 a
> correspondent of the Londonderry Journal wrote that no legal distilleries
> had survived in the area 'and yet whiskey is as plenty and pernicious as
> ever."

So much for our pious, religious ancestors praying their way to America
<grin>
Now we know what they were REALLY up to!

....Or was that all Catholic poteen ??? <Hahahahaha> Actually I thought
you
made poteen from potatoes.....but what do I know???

Linda Merle

This thread: