Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-12 > 0881648502

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: Meaning of Scotch-Irish
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 22:21:42 -0800

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your post on the Irish of Pittsburgh. The only
point on which I would disagree is that existence of an Ulster
Scots/Scotch-Irish community. There not only was but is.I'm
wondering how you came to this conclusion.

They may be difficult to 'detect' if you are looking for them as
if they are Irish. Ie: cultural clubs. First of all they
were and are in the countryside, not Pittsburgh proper.
Secondly the institutions they frequent are churches. The
rural community in which I was raised was very Ulster Scots
or Scotch-Irish in awareness as well as in fact. My
ancestors have been tehre since 1785 -- they never lost
recall of who they were or intermarried. Other than
Presbyterian churches, they came out infrequently -- mostly
to attend Eastern Star meetings (my granddad was into farming
and never left his goats, bees, and chickens). Also did you
know there's a functional Orange Lodge in Pittsburgh today.
There were a number of Ulster Scots families in the coal
miners -- my aunts married some of their sons. There were
Irish in Fox Chapel very early, who owned farms in the area.
My Irish ancestors (Kelly) lived there.

Pittsburgh itself is an Irish city but the surrounding
countryside is Ulster Scots. The reason being the Ulster Scots
bought the land early and there was none left for the Irish who
could afford it. No one in my family ever called the Irish these
names -- having been persecuted ourselves for having Irish
surnames. Not all are that smart, though, I agree with you.

I'm not a great fan of the Protestant Ethic -- though it is
still hard for me to "do nothing".

I can look up the statistics for you, but if I recall
correctly, South Western PA in the late 1780's was about 85%
Scotch-Irish.

Eh... any Kelly's among the soldiers from Fort Pitt?

Regards,

Linda Merle

This thread: