Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-12 > 0881626721

From: Billshau29 <>
Subject: Re: Meaning of Scotch-Irish
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:18:41 EST

<<
Hi, Strange Subject for this thread on when did the Irish really
come over. I was myself very interested in this because of the
early arrival of my KELLYs. My research which wasn't as thorough
as Richard's, is that the notion that "the Irish" all arrived in
the USA in the time of the Famine is another myth. Yeh, lots came
then, but lots were already here! Some since the 1600's. O'Brien,
who sometimes screws up facts, nonetheless does do a good job
of documenting some colonial Irish.

Linda:

There was a very significant population of Irish origin in Pittsburgh
(home town of both of us) in 1800. Segment One consisted of former soldiers
whose enlistment expired while they were at Fort Pitt. Segment Two consisted
of those who came as Indentured Servants (polite words for SLAVE). Segment
Three consisted of "Transported Criminals". And Section Four consisted of
those who came to this country for a better opportunity. I have studied the
History of Fort Pitt and Western Pennsylvania in very considerable depth, and
I have never seen even an estimate of the number of Irish who may have
emigrated from Ulster. I can also state that in the Pittsburgh Area, one of
the largest centers of Irish population in the US, there really wasn't a
Scotch-Irish community as alleged by a number of individuals in this List.
There was, and still is, a Scotch community, and an Irish community. Believe
it or not, but at the end of 1988, there are Scots who do not want to be
contaminated by the filthy Irish Paddys, Micks, Harps, or whatever you want to
call them. On the other hand, the Irish do not want to associate with the
Scotch for fear that they will acquire the perceived Scottish sense of
Christian Brotherhood - "I don't give a darn if your family is starving: You
should have worked harder".

Bill Shaughnessy

This thread: