Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-12 > 0881460605

From: Diane Smith <>
Subject: Meaning of Scotch-Irish
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 18:10:05 -0800

I agree with John G. Every definition I've read says almost exactly what he
says. The Irish did not begin to come in anynumbers until after 1800,
better than a century after the Scotch-Irish.

I believe my Clark (maiden name) is Scotch-Irish just because the
intermarriages are with other Scotch-Irish families that are documented as
Presbyterian from the north of Ireland with roots in Scotland. In the Clark
family there is not a significant deviance from this rule until my
grandfather marries in 1920 marries an English/Irish Catholic woman. Even
in Kansas in 1890 my great-grandfather married a Buchanan born in Canada.

My father married a Knox-Phillips descendant (with some Indian, probably
Cherokee, thrown in both maternal lines);-) This had more to do with him
being in Okalahoma during WW2 than anything else.

One name I am curious about is the surname Preston. There are some Clark's
associated with this surname from Maryland. These Preston's are likely
Methodist, at least by the time they get to western PA. I don't know the
origin.

Diane Smith http://www.halcyon.com/dianes
Seattle, WA
Foundation for Educational Choice - http://www.halcyon.com/maywood
Researching Clark,Paxton,McIlvaine,Campbell,Morrow +
Moderating the Family History project for students ages 10-15
Kidlink email forum - http://www.kidlink.org/
http://www.kidlink.org/KIDPROJ/FamHistory