Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-12 > 0881322898

From: joe filipowicz <>
Subject: Re: Scotch-Irish Intermarriage
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 06:54:58 -0500

My Scots-Irish GGGrandfather McVay married a predominantly German
ancestry BAUGHER in 1862. He was not the first as his uncles had
married similarly before him.

I think the Scots-Irish were like the "swizzle stick" of ancestries as
they seemed to "break the barrier" with other ethnic groups.

I think that this phenomenon everyone keeps trying to rediscover is more
a matter of opportunity. How many Vietnamese-Americans would we have if
it were not for the matter of opportunity ?

I used to hear a truncated cliche that went:

"Familiarity Breeds" (not necessarily contempt !)

I do not think my McVay who migrated thru PA, OH, In and IL and westward
were different than other Scots-Irish as they married into Dutch,
Quaker, and, God forbid, English roots ! This activity three
generations earlier would have been like conspiring with the enemy !

My Scots-Irish Guffey who came thru KY seemed to stay within "their
kind". I think this proves that it is a matter of opportunity.

This thread: