Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-12 > 0881295549

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: Another one??
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 20:19:09 -0800

Hi Pam,

<grin>
> Makes me wonder sometimes how
> interchangeable "organized religion" seems to be when people are in love.

At a recent seminar I took, one speaker said over and over and over
and over and over and over again [He was English and knew he was
talking to Americans so he had to EMPHASIZE his points to get through
our complacent thickheadedness and innate hostility to anyone with
an accent different from our own and who appeared to know more than
ourselves] that religion was an INDIVIDUAL choice. Or as he would
say religion was an INDIVIDUAL choice. Lots of people converted.
You may never find the relatives of your Presbyterian ancestor
because they were all hiding from you in the Catholic records.
Or visa versa. Millions of ancestors are even lurking in the
Anglican records. Some people in Ireland actually attended the
established church. A chilling thought to both Presbyterians and
Catholics <grin>. Maybe we can organize therapy lists???

One of the biggest obstacles to genealogical research is what
you THINK you know.

Linda Merle

This thread: