Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-11 > 0880876449

From: Glida Bothwell <>
Subject: Re: Scotch-Irish Diet
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 23:54:09 -0800

I thought biscuits and gravy, fried chicken, cornbread and vegetables
was Kentucky food. My grandparents from Northern Kentucky ate like
this, along with fresh cows milk and churned butter, butchered pork, and
rabbits too. My grandfather smoked all his own meat, raised bees for
honey, milked his cow and plowed fields on rocky steep hillsides. Does
this kind of food come from any Scotch-Irish influence? They were
JOHNSONS from the coal mine area of Eastern Kentucky, but I think they
were German.

This thread: