Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-11 > 0880862126

From: John Carpenter <>
Subject: Re: Scotch-Irish Diet
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 19:55:26 -0800 (PST)

I have a feeling that the place to get the food you
remember is the Irondale Cafe in Irondale, AL, a
suburb of Birmingham on the east side of town right
on I-20. I haven't managed to eat there yet, but
it's the original of the Whistle Stop Cafe of Fried
Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe and
originally belonged to an aunt and uncle of Fannie
Flagg, now owned and run by some of their former
employees. Is Flagg a SI name, do you suppose?

---Herb Abrams wrote:

> My father was born and raised in rural Tennessee,
from S-I ancestry.
> Every spring he would go out squirrel hunting in
the woods and bring
> home a mess of squirrels. Mother would fry them
just like you would
> chicken. They were excellent. Tasted very much
like chicken.

> I can still remember the delicious breakfasts we
would have at my
> grandmother's house when we would go visit. Ham,
eggs, biscuits and red
> eye gravy. Lots of fried chicken, cornbread and
vegetables from the
> garden for lunch and dinner. Home churned butter
and delicious
> buttermilk.
>
> I would love to find a restaurant that served food
like that.

> Herb Abrams
>
> Vesta Elliot wrote:
>
> > One thing I'm finding out is that they ate
some pretty horrible
> > food.Aunt Anna Lee says they ate ground
hogs,possum and squirrels they
> > shot behind their house until the 50's.In the
winter they ate rotten
> > praties and soup made out of bones and various
guts.And my brats won't
> > even touch generic!
> >
> > Ever wonder why you don't hop in your car on
Friday evening and say
> > "Why don't we go out to a good Scotch-Irish
restaurant tonite honey?"

> > Haggis and neeps isn't me idear of a delicious
feast neither.