Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-11 > 0880728187

From: Dan Wilson <>
Subject: Re: Ireland to Canada 1832
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 07:43:07 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Brad Boyes wrote:

> After looking under a number of welcome mats and in many nooks and
> crannies, I am slowly (being of Irish descent, it takes me a little
> longer) coming to the realization that naturalization records did not exist
> and passenger lists were extremely rare for immigrants from Ireland to
> Canada in the 1832's. Should I continue attempting to peer through
> spectacles filled with Guiness or should I just drink the dam stuff and
> continue on a different voyage.
>
> Brad Boyes searching ,
> WALTERS, MCDONELL,BOYES, KUTZ, PEBERNAT

Maybe there was a local newspaper that kept track of arrivals? Bolton, in
his book SCOTCH-IRISH PIONEERS IN ULSTER AND AMERICA, was able to identify
some of the vessels that brought the five ships from the Bann Valley, Co.
Derry to Boston in 1718 by notices in the BOSTON NEWSLETTER. Maybe there
was such a newsletter for St. John's?

Dan Wilson

This thread: