Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-11 > 0880529200

From: <>
Subject: Re: The Hamely Tongue
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 02:26:40 -0500 (EST)

<< Would the Appalachian folk in the group know if the words 'ken' and
'jalouse' have been used in recent memory? As in "I ken what you
meant"
and "I jaloused that might happen." >>

funny, but I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks, long long ago, and heard tht
word "ken" used quite a bit. Moatly in questions, "Do ye
ken....?"
Also heard the expression "red up" for tidying. But no "jalouse" Except maybe
"ja ljouse in my hair bit me!"
Surnames of the kids I went to school with in that community -- Macy,
Whitaker, Sanstrom (definitely German?) Wilkins, Dragoo, Durbin, Graham.
suppose that was a Scotch-Irich enclave as well?
love
joan

This thread: