Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-11 > 0880474307

From: John Carpenter <>
Subject: Re: The Hamely Tongue
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:11:47 -0800 (PST)

Well, Linda Merle, I only know where one SI ancestor
came from and suspect that some of the rest were
Irish though Presbyterian. But at a family reunion
not long ago a 4th cousin from SC played the spoons.
No banjos that I know of, but I love the music,
whatever the instruments.

---linda Merle wrote:

> Hi Diane,
>
> > No wonder I couldn't understand anyone in Scotland!
> > If I'd started in Western PA, I wouldn't have
been so surprised.

> Hehe...when I was in Belfast my friends kept
saying: "I didn't know
> anyone said that but us!"
>
> > BTW, I thought all those folks living in the
hoots and hollers of the
> > Appalachias, singing the old songs and speaking
middle English - were
> > English? A recent thread made me think that *we*
were claiming them
> > (*discounting, for the moment, my English blood,
which keeps turning out
> > to be something else anyway).
>
> Yer lucky! My something else keeps turning into
English.... I'm not sure
> anyone knows for sure what they were though lets
not let a thing like
> that keep us from fighting about it <grin>.
"Albion's Seed" author
> Fischer claims that they came from the borders of
Scotland and England,
> and some from Ulster. He claims there was one
culture on both borders,
> not only because they were both borders (which
means they had to endure
> a lot of conflict) but also because a lot of
Ulsterfolk were orginally
> Borderfolk.
>
> Not too many people have proved him right. I'm not
convinced the two are
> one culture, or rather were. My father's
grandparents came from both
> sides of the English/Scots borders. They were
somewhat alike --
> peaceful,
> quiet folk who tried to avoid fights. On the other
hand my mother's
> ancestors
> came from Ulster and all they did was look for
fights. I never saw all
> four
> grandparents in one room. They hated one another, I
suspect. Though this
> may
> not have anything to do with 300 years ago.
>
> In any case, as Fraser in "The Steele Bonnets"
says, the folk on the
> borders were one border culture. They were always
marrying across the
> border
> so how could it be otherwise? They differed from
the southern English
> and
> the lowlanders. That I beleive.
>
> So who knows where those Appalachians came from?
Probably some from the
> borders and some from Ulster. Since a few
truckloads of banjo-playing
> Andersons
> and Blacks used to show up at our reunions from
down in West Virginia,
> I know some of them are Ulster Scots with a little
English. <grin>.