Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-11 > 0880456996

From: BOBBIE M HALL< >
Subject: Re: The Hamely Tongue
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 06:23:16, -0500

Diane Hettrick <> wrote:
>BTW, I thought all those folks living in the hoots and hollers of
the
>Appalachias, singing the old songs and speaking middle English -
were
>English? A recent thread made me think that *we* were claiming them

>(*discounting, for the moment, my English blood, which keeps turning
out
>to be something else anyway).

There was a PBS show on a few years back (perhaps a BBC production
originally?) called The Story of English (?). I remember distinctly a
section
about the Appalachian people, those who'd been kept remote for
hundreds
of years. It compared their speech against that of the oldest of the
Ayrshire
folk who still spoke a variation of Scots. Hardly a difference to an
outsider!
What we found funny (my husband is an Ayrshire man) was that they
gave
the Ayrshire gent subtitles!! <g>
Would the Appalachian folk in the group know if the words 'ken' and
'jalouse' have been used in recent memory? As in "I ken what you
meant"
and "I jaloused that might happen."

Bobbie

This thread: