Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-11 > 0880272931

From: Sandy Myers <>
Subject: RE: Irish Immigrant Literacy
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 02:15:31 -0600

I, too, had heard that expression in my father's family, and by
others here in southwest Missouri. I thought it was just one of
those hillbilly things we are famous for here.(grin) But maybe
not. I can also remember my grandfather's second wife saying
that she needed to "red up the front room before the company arrived."

In the past few months, however, my sister and I are trying to
remember and write down all those funny and odd sayings that we
have heard in our family all our lives. We now realize those are
clues to our heritage, which we are both anxious to learn.

Thanks Linda for sharing that with us.

Sandy

At 07:57 AM 11/23/97 UT, J. L. Jones wrote:
>linda Merle wrote:
>>
>> If you are living in the Ulster Scots heartlands of America, you
>> may know a few words yerself. Ever "red up" your room? Are your
>> neighbors nebby? Even the term "hill billy". "Billy" is Scots
>> for "guy". I've been reading "A Scots Quair" by Lewis Grassic
>
>Uh-Oh doesn't everybody say red up yer room? this is news to me!
>
>Vesta
>
>Dear Vesta,
>
>The Penna-Dutch list also mentioned "red-up". I heard it growing up, but
>thought it was 'those' people from Kentucky or West Virginia or somewhere
>awful like where my ancestors came from. I though the only relatives from
>Pennsylvania were the German ones. Now that I'm into genealogy, surprise.
>
>We are all in this life together, like it or not. My hillbilly cousins
>originally came from NC and PA. Don't know of any "nebby" neighbors, just
>nosy ones.
>
>Happy Thanksgiving.
>
>Regards in Peace,
>Joanna