Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-11 > 0880267565

From: "J. L. Jones" <>
Subject: RE: Irish Immigrant Literacy
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 97 07:57:07 UT

linda Merle wrote:

> If you are living in the Ulster Scots heartlands of America, you
> may know a few words yerself. Ever "red up" your room? Are your
> neighbors nebby? Even the term "hill billy". "Billy" is Scots
> for "guy". I've been reading "A Scots Quair" by Lewis Grassic

Uh-Oh doesn't everybody say red up yer room? this is news to me!

Vesta

Dear Vesta,

The Penna-Dutch list also mentioned "red-up". I heard it growing up, but
thought it was 'those' people from Kentucky or West Virginia or somewhere
awful like where my ancestors came from. I though the only relatives from
Pennsylvania were the German ones. Now that I'm into genealogy, surprise.

We are all in this life together, like it or not. My hillbilly cousins
originally came from NC and PA. Don't know of any "nebby" neighbors, just
nosy ones.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Regards in Peace,
Joanna