Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-11 > 0879971941

From: "WILLIAM JOHN SHEPHERD, SR." <>
Subject: Re: Scotch-Irish-D Digest V97 #347
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:39:01 -0500 (EST)

There are several recent biographies of Sir William Wallace. I just
read BRAVEHEART by James MacKay, I believe, published in 1995 or 1996. It is
very readable and the research is credible although he is too prone to
accepting the inflated figures for the size of the armies engaged in the
Scottish War of Independence. A more slight bio but one which is careful to
limit speculation and just present the facts is D. J. Gray's WILLIAM WALLACE:
THE KING'S ENEMY, published in the 1980s. I am doing this off the top of my
head so bear with me. Andrew Fisher has also written one but I have not yet
read it though I highly recommend his TRAVELERS' HISTORY OF SCOTLAND.
Also, I just read a 30-40 page booklet by Seamus MacThomais about Wallace
available through Unicorn Limited in West Virginia. You should also read Nigel
Tranter's THE WALLACE, a historical novel. The movie BRAVEHEART
is great drama and wonderful nationalistic propaganda but not very historical.
I think it is good in imagining some of his thoughts and emotions though so
much else is just legend or dramatic license. William J. Shepherd.

This thread: