Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-10 > 0877232534

From: Iain Kerr <>
Subject: Surnames
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 23:42:14 -0400

Carla,

>> My grandmother swears that Pullen is Scots but I can't find it in
any surname books. The closest I have come is Paulin but.... <<

You have been looking in the wrong places! My Dictionary of English
Surnames says:

PULLAN, PULLEN, PULLEIN, PULLEINE, PULLEYN, PULLIN: first recorded in 1166
in Norfolk. Derived from the Old French word 'poulain' meaning 'a colt'.

So your grandmother may be wrong. But remember that the etymology of
a surname is NOT a genealogical proof. You have to attack your
ancestry generation by generation backwards in time with documentary
proofs.

Yours aye, Iain

in Windsor, Berkshire
WWW site: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/iain_kerr
- originated at 18-Oct-1997, 18:48:24 GMT

This thread: