Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-10 > 0877193802

From: <>
Subject: Surnames
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 12:56:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

This is my first post but I have been lurking in the shadows for a
couple months.
I have to say I have gleaned quite alot of info about my Irish ancestors
history through this group. What I would like to find out is if I am indeed
Scots-Irish. The surnames I am searching are Noble and Pullen. My grandmother
swears that Pullen is Scots but I can't find it in any surname books. The
closest I have come is Paulin but....

Noble is a sept of Clan MacKintosh but my ancestor was born in Co. Cavan
in 1809. Wasn't this considered NI at that time? I thought Co. Cavan was one
of the 6 counties in NI. I could be mistaken, they do not teach alot of Irish
history in US schools. I also know that there are English Noble's. I would
like to prove where my ancestors were originally from. I looked in the 1821
census for Co. Cavan and there were NO other families with this surname. So I
am sure that his parents migrated there from eith er Scotland or England.
Personally I would much rather be from Scotland.

Can anyone help a historically challenged person like me???

Carla

This thread: