Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-10 > 0877167040

From: Roderick Hay Bain <>
Subject: Re: Highlanders etc.
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:30:40 +0100

In message <>, "D. Douglas Dorman"
<> writes
>Moran Taing for the info on banshee,Lisa!A friend of mine whose
>grandparents were Catholic Irish from Mayo knew the word as bansheehaid
>(that's how he pronounced it)so it must be a case of one Scot Gaelic
>version and one Irish Gaelic.
>
>A simple answer to your question about lowlanders and highlanders is
>that highlanders speak Ghaildhlig,a form of Gaelic ,and lowlanders spoke
>"Scots" (the Doric).
>
>It's a little more complicated ethnically though because a Scotland
>before the Normans was divided into 4 spheres of influence.
>
> Gaels Picts NW/NE
>
> Strathclyde Angles SW/SE
> Britons
>
>The Strathclyde Britons were Brythons ,or early Welsh ,I believe that is
>where your family Hunter is?However there were lots of Gaels later in
>that area,so it is a big question whether Wallace(the Welshman)really
>was a Welshman or a Gael.
>
>Regards,
>Vesta Elliott
>
>______________________________
From a "Doric" speaker,

Doric is the language of the North East of Scotland, which
comprises mostly of the counties of Aberdeen,Banff and Kincardine.We are
far removed linquistically and culturely from the "lowlands" and many
words and dialects are Norse/Germanic. The "lowlanders" of Scotland,let
alone others would have great difficulty in comprehending our language.
We are all proud of our uniqueness.
--
Dr Roderick Hay Bain

This thread: