Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-10 > 0876444045

From: Roger Hillhouse <>
Subject: Re: surnames
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 17:40:45 -0700

I have a Brewer ancestor in the long ago, Sir William Brewer of Devon,
in the mid-13th Century. I also had a Brewer friend whose father
changed his name from something German. Like most names (not all) the
origins are widespread.

My own name originated in Ayrshire, crossed to Ireland, went south to
England, across to Barbados, and every one of those supplied a Hillhouse
to the U.S. Is the name Irish, English, Scots, or what? It's now
American and has been for 200 years.
--
Rogshirley soper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I saw Iain's answer regarding surnames, and wonder if I could get an
> answer for Brewer. I know they came to the US from all over Europe,
> and do not seem to belong to any one area. Are the considered
> Scotch-Irish?
>
> Thanks

er Hillhouse

San Diego, California