Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-08 > 0872781099

From: Jeanette Martin <>
Subject: Re: Creek/Crick
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:11:39 -0700

Edward Andrews wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:30:12 -0700
> > From: Jeanette Martin <>
> > Reply-to:
> > To:
> > Cc: Scotch-Irish <>,
> > John Giacoletti <>
> > Subject: Re: Creek/Crick
> > Well, I guess it depends where you are as to what it's called. Down
> > in Georgia we call it a creek, a stream or a branch. Call it a
> > watercourse and you'd be laughed out of the state! Jeanette in
> > Georgia/USA
> The original question asked > > What are "creeks" called in Ulster?
> As a native Ulster speaker, I don't actually know what a "creek" is.
> This is why I asked the question and asked for a definition.
> Merely to repeat the word will not help with a reply.
> Edward Andrews
> St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith, Midlothian Scotland
> Visit our Web site

Edward, John really asked two questions. Since I know nothing of the
Ulster way of refering to anything I choose the second question because
it caught my fancy. Creek or Crick?? Then your very proper definition of
running water caught my fancy. (Hey, this is what's called a
'thread',isn't it)???
My field of sunflowers are in full bloom. A beautiful sight
from this window. I keep hoping I see the deer from here in the soybean
field, but those critters must come just before dark to eat the tops of
the bushes. If they's wait a bit they'd have some nice soybeans to eat.
Have a nice day and keep looking Up! Jeanette in Georgia/USA

This thread: