Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-08 > 0870740577

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: Re: The Baan Valley
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 01:22:57 +1

> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 15:07:23 -0400
> From: NiteWings <>
> Subject: The Baan Valley

> Wow...just found out that the group my family came to Maine in in
> 1718 were from The Baan Valley.
>
> Anyone know where the Bann Valley is??
>
> Arn Dunning
>
> ______________________________
The River Bann, the main river of Northern Ireland runs from the
Mourne Mountains in County Down to the Atlantic at Portstewart.
It is divided into the Upper and Lower Bann by Lough Neigh, the
largest sheet of water in the British Isles.
The Upper Bann vaguely acts as the border between counties Armagh
and Down for some of its length,while for most of its length the
lower Bann is the border between counties (London)Derry and Antrim.
As the Bann valley is most of the internal drainage of the Province
(except the west) the term Ban valley proper can be almost anywhere.
I would however look in the lower Bann if I was looking for someone
from the "Bann Valley", especially those who went over c1718, as much
of the movement was from Londonderry, and were Presbyterians.
It would not have been difficult for a ship going from Derry to have
stopped off at Coleraine.
Try the Presbytery of Route.
Edward Andrews
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith, Midlothian Scotland
Visit our Web site http://www.btinternet.com/~stnicholas.buccleuch/index.ht

This thread: