Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-06 > 0866940100

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: Apology
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 17:41:40 -0700

Hi Roberta,

I enjoyed the joke. I didn't hear the remarks of the NPR commentator and
so cannot tell if the joke was really made at the expense of people of
color or not. I think you are probably reading too much into it. It was
just a joke. Humor is always very personal and risky since it can easily
offend. However given the choice between a list which does not risk it
for fear of offending someone and a list which occasionally does offend
someone with a joke, I'll take the latter.

Roberta, sorry you were offended but please do not bring this topic up
on list again.

Although I must disagree with this statement:
> throughout Scotland's English
> oppression, the Scots themselves still enjoyed personal freedom -- to
> come and go as they chose, marry who they chose, eat what they chose,
> and stay together as a family.

The MacGregors and other proscripted clans did not enjoy these personal
freedoms or even the freedom to live.

One of the freedoms that I most value is the freedom to make jokes. I'm
not giving it up.

Linda Merle

List Owner