Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-05 > 0862926187

From: Dan Wilson <>
Subject: Re: GAELIC SURNAMES/SPELLING
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 06:43:07 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 5 May 1997 wrote:

> I found Holloway listed in neither Bells Book of Ulster Surnames of Black's
> Surnames of Scotland.

Hmmm... I'm surprised it's not in Black's because that is regarded as a
fairly definitive collection of Scottish surnames.

I found it in TARTAN FOR ME! as being found in the Roxburgh District of
Scotland. However, TARTAN FOR ME! is really intended as a guide to which
tartan people should wear. If there's a clan affilliation, it's listed
with the name, but in the case of most lowland names it suggests the
district tartan be worn. The author, Philip D. Smith, F.S.A., is a former
dean of academic affairs at Westchester State University, Westchester,
PA.

Dan Wilson
Arizona State Univ.

This thread: