Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-05 > 0862707774

From: Dan Wilson <>
Subject: Re: SURNAME ORIGINS
Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 18:02:54 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 3 May 1997 wrote:

> My specific questions are: Is McDaniel a variation of McDonald?

One of the best references for checking Scottish and SCots-Irish surnames
is Black's SURNAMES OF SCOTLAND. Look for both MacDaniel/McDaniel and
Bramlett there. As for a variation of Macdonald, I'm not sure but it
could be. The Irish and Scots Gaelic spelling of DANIEL is DONAL or DONALL.
(with an accent over the 'o'.)

Scots-Irish were usually Presbyterians since that was the National
regligion of Scotland at the time just as Anglicanism was the national
church of England. Of course the Church of Ireland was also Anglican.

Dan Wilson
Arizona State Univ.

This thread: