Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-05 > 0862533211

From: William McMahon <>
Subject: GAELIC SURNAMES/SPELLING
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 19:33:31 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Scotch-Irish Rooters,

William McMachen/McMechen, b 1690-5 Scotland(?), m ca 1720 Elizabeth ____?
(b ?, Wales) in Wales moved to (N?)Ireland, and had 6 children b there.
They showed up in Orange Co VA ca 1737, in Winchester area, and in the
1740ies he was the Chief Justice in Frederick Co., VA. He died in 1749
and in his will, the clerk (phoneticly) spelled his name as: McMechan,
McMeachan, McMecham, McMehan and McMahan. This William's grandson, (d 1794)
spelled his name as McMechen, but all generations (of this family) afterward
spelled it as McMahon.

I am seeking clarification of why my McMahon ancestors wrote their name as
McMachen/McMechen/etc. Is this the Gaelic spelling for McMahon? Is this
spelling typical for the "Scotch-Irish"? (I know nothing of the Gaelic
alphabet and Gaelic pronunciation of words.) I know that there were other
McMahons in the same time period who clearly spelled their name as
McMahon/McMahan (would they have been regular or "pure" Irish?). (In
another line I have
a Henry Machen: is Machen = Mahon?)

If anyone can clear my confusion, please go to it!

Thanks, Bill

RESEARCHING: McMAHON COX LOVELESS MACHEN BYERLY BRUCE ETC.