SWEET-L Archives

Archiver > SWEET > 1998-05 > 0894322084

From: "r." <>
Subject: The SWEET Saga
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 18:48:04 -0400

Hi Sweets.

i am looking for Bob SWEETs email addy. From Canada. Does anyone have it?
Robin

r. wrote:

Have you ever heard of Sarah Amanda SWEET MAYNARD?
>From mass.

Vondene Norgaard wrote:
I have as a minimum the following information. I hope that it'll help you.
It would seem that there is a strong connection and that we are distant
relatives. You can contact Bob Sweet in NB, Canada at
//personal.nbnet.ca/bobsweet/home.htm

for his home page. He has done the research for our part of the Sweet Clan.

<John b.1579
1579 John SWEET born,
s/o of Robert SWEET and
Johanna RAINHAM in Devonshire.
1620 John SWEET
son of John and
Mary PERIAM born at Devonshire, England.
John
m. Elizabeth JEFFREY and had a son
Richard.
Richard
m. Pricilla CARPENTER who had
John.
John
m. Lydia WHALEY and had
John.
John m. in RI to
Margaret CONGDON
d/o Benjamin CONGDON,
2nd, and his wife Elizabeth SWEET
d/o Benoni SWEET and his wife
Elizabeth SWEET.
John and Margaret sold land in North Kingston, RI and in 1761 came to NS
with the New England Planters. They received a grant of land in Cornwallis
Twsp. This was recorded in 1765 in the Crown Land Office in Halifax, NS.
They settled near Kentville, now in Kings Co., in the community of Billtown.
Ch: Elizabeth,
Sarah,
John,
Benoni
m1 Hannah ROCKWELL,
m2 Sarah STEWART,
Theophilus ( -1847)
m. Eleanor TURNER and
James.
Source: The SWEET SAGA, by Belle Smiley and Iola Young (1960)wb

1622 James SWEET
son of John and
Mary PERIAM born at Devonshire, England.
He died at Kingston, RI in 1695.
Mary GREENE, his wife was the dau. of
John GREENE and
Joanne TATTERSALL,
whose family founded the first Baptist Ch. in America at Providence. John
GREENE is said to have been a surgeon from Salisbury, England. For a time,
James SWEET and his wife lived at Warwick, RI, but later moved and settled
near the foot of Ridge Hill, where the family burying ground can still be
seen. His nine ch were all born at North Kingston, RI.
They were
Philip b1665,
James 1657-1724,
Mary b1660,
Benoni 1663-1751
m. Elizabeth SWEET
d/o a cousin Samuel SWEET
of the John SWEET family.
Valentine b1665,
Samuel b1667,
Jeremiah b1669,
Renewed b1671 and
Sylvester b1674.
Source: The SWEET SAGA, by Belle Smiley and Iola Young (1960)

1625 Meribah SWEET
d/o John & Mary PERIAM born at Devonshire, England.
Nothing more on her.
Source: The SWEET SAGA, by Belle Smiley and Iola Young (1960)

1630 John SWEET
son of Robert SWEET/
Johanna RAINHAM
emigrated to USA 1630 from Wales with
wife Mary (PERIAM) and
ch John,
James, and
Renewed.
They emigrated to Salem, Mass in 1630. He was progenitor of the "celebrated
natural bone setters"
Source: The SWEET SAGA, by Belle Smiley and Iola Young (1960)

1637 John SWEET son of
Robert SWEET/
Johanna RAINHAM and wife
Mary PERIAM were given a grant of land in Providence RI and went there to
live out their lives. He died shortly after the move. In 1638, his
wife Mary
married Rev. Mr. HOLLIMAN.
It was then that their daughter, Meribah’s name was changed to Renewed.
John and Mary had 3 ch:
John 1620-1677,
James 1622-1695 and
Meribah 1625-1681.
Source: The SWEET SAGA, by Belle Smiley and Iola Young (1960)

1657 James SWEET
s/o James and Mary GREENE born.
Died 1724.
He was the father of Job SWEET who became known as the "Great Bonesetter"
and was the most famous of all the Bonesetter SWEETs. He surpassed the
achievements of any of his forebears. Job SWEET began to practice this
natural gift while yet in his teens, winning celebrity wherever he applied
his art.
Source: The SWEET SAGA, by Belle Smiley and Iola Young (1960)

1663 Benoni SWEET
s/o James and Mary GREENE born.
Died 1751.
M. Elizabeth SWEET, dau. of a cousin,
Samuel SWEET
of the John SWEET family.
Benoni was a Capt. In the British service. He inherited the gift of
bonesetting and performed some remarkable operations. He was called "Dr.
SWEET and practiced extensively in restoring dislocations.
Ch: James b1688,
Margaret b1690,
Benoni b1692,
Mary b1696,
Elizabeth b1700
m. Benjamin CONGDON 2nd,
and Thomas b1703
m. Tabitha BENTLEY.
Source: The SWEET SAGA, by Belle Smiley and Iola Young (1960)

1692 Benoni SWEET
s/o Benoni and
Elizabeth SWEET born in RI.
He was also a bonesetter, and was the one in our line in RI who with his
wife
Elizabeth and their family left RI in 1760 with the New England Planters
for NS, landing in Falmouth Twsp, disembarking at what is now Newport
Landing, Hants Co, NS.
This Benoni married when he was about 50 years old. His wife Elizabeth was
much younger. However, he possessed the spirit of adventure, when he, at
his age, migrated with the Planters to a new country, Nova Scotia. Benoni’s
grant of land was Lot 39, which he shared with Edward Manchester, each
receiving one half share. In 1765 Benoni and his wife
Elizabeth sold this land to
Mr. Henry DENSON. In 1765 Benoni and Isaac LITTLE purchased another grant
of land located at Curry’s Corner, near Windsor.
Ch: Elizabeth b1742,
Mary b1745
m. Isaac LITTLE,
Jonathan b1746,
Benoni b1748
m. Lydia DIMOCK and
Nancy b1752.
Source: The SWEET SAGA, by Belle Smiley and Iola Young (1960)

1700 Elizabeth SWEET
d/o Benoni and
Elizabeth SWEET born.
Married Benjamin CONGDON,
2nd, She was a great granddaughter of
John SWEET 1620-1677.
Their daughter,
Margaret CONGDON,
was thus a great granddaughter of
James SWEET 1622-1695
and a great great granddaughter of
John SWEET 1620-1677
Source: The SWEET SAGA, by Belle Smiley and Iola Young (1960)

1715 Benoni SWEET,
son of John SWEET and
Mary GREENE b.
2 April 1715 Kingston RI,
Falmouth grant 3: no. 354.
Source "Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867" by LH Smith & Norma Smith
Facts about this family:
1. This fact conflicts with Source: The SWEET SAGA which says Benoni b. 1663
d. 1751

Samuel T b.1765
married Sarah Babcock>1530
The earliest records show that
John SWEET was born in 1530 at Modbury, Devonshire, England where he
inherited the place "Trayne (Traine) in 1540. According to records, the
SWEETs were living in that neighbourhood as early as 1438.
John SWEET had 2 sons,
Adrian and Robert
b. 1550 and 1552 respectively.
[...]

The following two were born after my portion moved to Canada and I have no
record of them, but perhaps Bob can.
Ichabod b. 1806
married Waty SHERMAN

Daniel b. 1825