SWALES-L Archives

Archiver > SWALES > 2007-07 > 1184355289

From: Steve Swales <>
Subject: Re: [SWALES] Australian Swales
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:34:49 -0700

Hi, Janice,

Let's see if I've got the right family. Looks like there was a Thomas
Swales, married Elizabeth Hames, 5 Aug 1816, Roxton. They had at least
5 children:
1. SARAH SWALES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 07 APR 1822 Wilden, Bedford, England
2. WILLIAM SWALES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 04 JUL 1819 Wilden, Bedford, England
3. EDITH SWALES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 25 DEC 1827 Renhold, Bedford, England
4. THOMAS SWALES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 20 APR 1818 Wilden, Bedford, England
5. MARY ANN SWALES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 24 JUL 1825 Wilden, Bedford, England

Those from the IGI.

In 1841, they lived in Renhold, with William (20) and Edith (13).

There's only 1 William Swales marriage on freebsd between 1841 and 1848,
in Bedford. There are several candidate brides, however:
Marriages Jun 1847 (>99%)
Ford Sophia Bedford 6 37 Scan available - click
to view
GARNER LEVE Bedford 6 37 Scan available - click
to view
GARNER Levi Bedford 6 37 Scan available - click
to view
Harris John Bedford 6 37 Scan available - click
to view
Mills Joseph Bedford 6 37 Scan available -
click to view
Morris Sarah Bedford 6 37 Scan available -
click to view
ODELL Mary Ann Bedford 6 37 Scan available -
click to view
Stokes Eliza Bedford 6 37 Scan available -
click to view
Swales William Bedford 6 37 Scan available -
click to view

Based on the 1851 census, it looks like Joseph Mills married Sophia Ford
and Levi Garner married Mary Ann ODell, so the remaining candidates are
Eliza Stokes and Sarah Morris.

It seems your Edith married John Hartwell in 1848, in NSW, and perhaps
had children named Thomas, Sarah, William, John & Joseph. Is that
right? This might suggest that it was Sarah Morris, but it is weak
evidence.

You could order the Jun qtr 1847 marriage record for William Swales from
the GRO using the information above, to be sure.

Hope this helps,

-steve