SUTHERLIN-L Archives

Archiver > SUTHERLIN > 2001-12 > 1008910311

From: "Pat Carey" <>
Subject: VIRUS, NO JOKE
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:53:21 -0600

I found this virus in my system --- after receiving a warning just like
this, and am sending a warning to my address book list. It was sent (not
on purpose of course) by a genealogy contact, and the directions which
follow DID fix it. I suggest that you immediately print out this mailing
and follow the directions also and make sure it is not in your system --
and if so -- you can delete it. It is said to lie dormant for 14 days and
then kills your hard drive. Stop everything you are doing right now,
PLEASE, and take a minute to delete the virus file. The directions DO WORK
and are easy to follow.
1. Go to START - then to FIND or SEARCH (depending on your computer.
2. In the FIND or SEARCH Folder, type in sulfnbk
----this IS the virus.
3. IN the "look in" or " which drive" question make sure you are
searching
your DRIVE C
4. Hit SEARCH button - or FIND
5. If this file shows up (it is an ugly black icon that will have the name
sulfnbk.exe
6. DO NOT OPEN IT
RIGHT CLICK ON THE FILE... GO DOWN TO DELETE AND
left click
7. It will ask you if you want to send to recycle bin --- click YES.
8. Go to desktop (where all your icons are) and double click on the recycle
bin.
9. Right click on sulfnbk. exe and delete again

IF YOU FIND THAT YOU DID HAVE THE VIRUS, SEND THIS EMAIL TO ALL IN YOUR
ADDRESSBOOK, BECAUSE THAT IS HOW IT IS TRANSFERRED. SORRY ABOUT THE
TROUBLE. I WASN'T HAPPY THAT I GOT IT EITHER!! :-((

This thread: