SUTHERLIN-L Archives

Archiver > SUTHERLIN > 2001-01 > 0980279221

Subject: Re: Charles W. Sutherlin
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:47:01 EST

Bob,

Charles W. Sutherlin was Mark's great grandfather, and Robert M. Sutherlin
was Mark's grandfather. His letters, charts, etc. are what Mark has shared
with us. Robert Montgomery Sutherlin was born 15 Sept 1880 in Wayne Co., MO.
He died in 1949 in CA.

Charles Wesley Sutherlin was son of Isham; s/o Philip. The data on Isham is
conflicting. 1850 Census has him age 45, b. NC. RMS wrote that Isham was
born 4 March 1804, and somewhere he wrote that Isham was born near Roanoke,
VA. However Roanoke did not become a city until sometime around the Civil
War.

Philip Sutherlin was in the 1800 census of Greenville Dist., SC. Philip's
son Philip was born 9 Sept. 1802 in SC. Nancy Vest was married in Stokes
Co., NC in 1807. We are not sure where Philip was living during that time.

The father Philip is listed in the 1790 Census of Stokes Co. about 3 entries
away from William Vest, father of Mary Vest. We do not know if Mary moved to
NC with the other members of the Vest family or remained in VA. Also we do
not know when and where she met Philip, or who fathered her two daughters.

Elmer

This thread: