SURNAMES-L Archives

Archiver > SURNAMES > 1994-12 > 0786987805

From: Richard Booth <>
Subject: Re: NEWCOMER anywhere -1850
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 10:43:25 -0500

In article <3c66bo$> you wrote:
: I need surname information for NEWCOMER previously to 1850.

: --
: cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
: Charles A. Newcomer, Professor| O |
: Department of Psychology | / | \ |(717)893-2227 (Office)
: Lock Haven University | | |Robinson Hall 302
: Lock Haven, PA 17745 | / \ |"Ski into cyberspace"
: cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

This may be an instance of isolated coinage of the name, but it's an
interesting story:

There is a city in Ohio called Newcomerstown. It was named after an
old Delaware chief who died in 1776 at age 90. He was known to the
whites by many names all starting with the letter 'N' but varying in
the transliteration of the rest of his name. It appears that "Newcomer"
was a close English language word approximating the way his name
sounded to some whites, and there is no apparent reason why he would
have been regarded as a newcomer or called that. (As I vaguely recall,
I think another version of his name was approximately 'Nukama'. He was
more often known, though, as Netawatwees.)

I have never heard of anyone else taking up the surname from this Indian
or from the town, though, so I presume the name probably doesn't connect
with modern Newcomers.

My father recently wrote a very exhaustive scholarly book on The
Tuscarawas Valley in Indian Days (that's the title) which covers
Newcomerstown and Netawatwees (Newcomer). In fact, he just worked up
a lecture on Netawatwees a couple of weeks ago. Nobody on the planet
knows more about that Indian than he does. He loves to talk about it,
so if you have any questions, you can give him a call at 614-432-3281
(day/office number). You can also e-mail him at ,
but he often goes days or even weeks without reading his e-mail.
His name is Russell Booth.

I hope this helps, or at least adds an interesting story to your collection.

Rick Boot

This thread: