SURNAME-ORIGINS-L Archives

Archiver > SURNAME-ORIGINS > 2006-06 > 1149344230

From: "cristy" <>
Subject: Re: [SURNAME-ORIGINS] new to the list
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 10:17:10 -0400

Thanks Gary,

There supposedly was a place in England called Bransfield but the name is supposedly from Ireland? I know there are lots of Bransfields from Ireland. Mine so far are traced from Carbonear in NF Canada then immigrated to Boston, MA.

Do you have a meaning for the name "Furman", may have been "Firman" in the beginning , from England I believe. Mine so far traced back to Delaware, then to Va.

Christine
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 3:30 AM

BRANSFIELD - You've been getting some good advice. BRANN is Celtic for Raven.
BRAN also means raven and sometimes crow. The -FIELD speaks for itself.

'Branwen" the daughter of Llyr (Welsh) <from the Mabinogion>.

There is a chance that it means Brand's Field. Brand would have been a
personal name. I don't know exactly what it means but BRANT means proud
or pompous which was a nickname. In the north of England it meant high or
lofty.

Gary

This thread: