STRUBE-L Archives

Archiver > STRUBE > 2003-08 > 1060641605

Subject: Re: STRUBE from BALLENSTEDT, SACHSEN-ANHALT
Date: 11 Aug 2003 16:40:05 -0600

Surnames: STRUBE, GROSSE, LIEBERKNECHT, SIHLER
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/BJQBAEB/9.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Your Wilmenia Strube's "Uncle Agusta Strube" is actually Gustav Strube. He was born in Ballenstedt, Germany. He played in the town orchestra; his father was the director. Gustav studied violin at the Leipzig Conservatory. He emigrated to the USA and played first violin in the Boston Symphony Orchestra. He was one of the first conductors of the Boston Pops. He was appointed lecturer at the Peabody Conservatory, Baltimore, and later became director of the Conservatory and conductor of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.

I have much more info on the family that I can pull together. The Peabody Conservatory has most of his papers that concern his musical career. The town museum of Ballenstedt also has info. Try looking him up in any "who's who in music" reference book.

Nancy

This thread: