STITZER-L Archives

Archiver > STITZER > 2009-07 > 1247610075

Subject: [STITZER] John Stitzer and Sarah Maurer
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:21:15 -0400

My John and Sarah are buried in Cochranton PA in our family plot and last
month (June) we were in the area visiting family.? Using the dates of death
on the stones and the age, I got the birth date.
John Stitzer d. 10 Nov 1873 age 77y? 8m 20d?? ?b. 21 Feb 1824
Sarah wife?? d. 17 Aug 1859 age 54y? 10m? 3d?? ?b. 14 Oct 1804
John Clemens son d. 8 Nov 1851? age 10y? 11m? 16d?? ?b. 22 Nov 1840

My Sarah could be the grandaughter of the the Maurer query that you have.? My
Henry is the son of John and Sarah and would be the grandson of the Henry in
1790 Census.

Children of John and Sarah, in order of birth (maybe off after Susan
according to White doc.)
Elizabeth(1822), Henry Martin 1824, Sarah 1828, Susan(1830), Catherine(1831),
Charles(1833), Lydia(1837) and John Clemens 1843. The dates in brackets are
not firm as I got them from Census(taking better notes
now). Charles had a twin sister who died shortly after birth. ?

The following dates are confirmed by the pages remaining from the Henry
Stitzer Bible.
Henry Martin b. 10 Jul 1824 d. 27 Apr 1879, buried with wife and four
children next to John and Sarah.

Children: Henrietta b. 1853 d. 1865, Mary Loellah b. 1855, John Bradford b.
1857, infant dau. b.d.1859, Martha Jane b. 1861, Charlotte b. 1863 d. 1870,
Eugene b.d.1865 , Sarah b. 1867, George? Washington b. 1869, William Henry b.
1871, Samuel b. 1874 and Martin Maurer b. 1876.

Henry is mentioned as helping to start, before 1858, the German Reformed
Church which became St. Marks Reformed in Fairfield Twp, Crawford, PA.

In the 1850 Census I felt that the enumerator made an error and Charles was
John which would fit his dates and John was Charles which would fit. ?
Stitzerville is in Wayne Twp. and the 1860 Census for Wayne includes a John
Stitter who is living near his daughter Susan married to Lowery Titus whose
children are correct.? This is before Titus is called to the Civil war and
dies. There are two children in John's household that do not fit, but
Charles,Catherine and Lydia fit.? From what records of Wayne Twp. I've seen
it was rather wild there and the others may have been relatives or they were
spoofing the government.? On the same page there is a Wolfe who marries into
the family and the grist mill connection is correct there, so that is the
reason for attaching it to my John.

In the 1870 Census E. Fairfield, Crawford PA, John is living with his son
Henry Martin and his family.? Also in the same household is John's widowed
daughter Susan Titus and her children and Susan's future husband John Wolfe
of the grist mill. Henry Martin's daughter Martha is shown as 11 but she is
really 9 and will become my great grandma.

It seems that some names have been carried on through the generations. If we
find that your John and my John are one and the same I can provide you with
an idea of who John's daughters and sons married, based on the White sisters
document and my grandmothers notes(she was daughter of Martha Jane b. 1861).? I really hope that we can solve what has been a mystery in the family for 80 years and more.
?
?

This thread: