STITZER-L Archives

Archiver > STITZER > 2009-07 > 1247506526

From: "Mary Courtemanche" <>
Subject: Re: [STITZER] John and Sarah Stitzer PA
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:35:26 -0400

Do you have a birthdate for Elizabeth? It is quite possible that I just
don't have the info on her, females are especially hard to track as you
know, getting married before they can be accounted for in the census. I
have plans to return to Berks Co, there are lots of Sttizer records there
that I haven't gotten to.Not to mention that is where my S(ch)wanger clan
was located. The fact that you show the oldest child to be Elizabeth, only
strengthens my notion that John and Johan Henry are the same person. Johan
Henry Stitzer was the son of Heinrich (Henry) and Maria Elisabeth (Klunck)
Stitzer. Henry and Maria named there first two daughters Elisabeth and
Elisabeth Magdalena, the first child definitely died as an infant and I have
no info on whether the second survived, but obviously it was a favored name
in this branch of the family, down several generations. Both of Henry and
Maria's known surviving daughters, named a daughter Elisabeth. I had the
name Henry Martin for the first son, but have since changed that to Henry
Morton. I don't have a note as to why I did that, perhaps a census record?
The first daughter I show is Henrietta Susanna Stitzer b. 10/28/1828, bapt.
Trinity Tulphocken Reformed Church, Lebanon Co, PA. Then Sarah Frances b.
1/21/ 1831 bapt. 7/13/1831 at Tulphocken also. (I don't have any further
info on her descendants would be interested in putting them in my database.)
Then I have two children, I picked up in the 1850 census, John b. 1832 and
Lidia b. 1836 and finally a son, Charles Lewis Stitzer b. 5/23/1840 in
Crawford Co PA. The problem is the Ruscombmanor location doesn't fit with
Henry at all. In 1790 census he was in Heidelberg Twp., Berks Co.
I found the following on the Berks Co site at USGENWEB. You probably
already have it, but I copied anyway:
Michael Stuart Mowrer
Registered surname(s): Breiner, Briner, Erni, Klingenschmidt, Maurer,
Petry, Reger on July 27, 2005

Comments: Believe I am descended from Christian Maurer, who died about
1779; letters of administration issued that year in Ruscombmanor Township,
Berks County, Pa. He left wife Margaretha and four minor children, if I
recall correctly. Among the children was a Christian Maurer, born about 1774
or 1775, probably in Berks Co., and moved to Northumberland Co. in 1790s,
married Elisabeth Erni, then they moved to what is now Snyder Co. Pa. in
1800, then my Maurers moved to Wayne Co. Ohio 1821-1827, then split up, some
moving to Wabash Co., Ind., some to Putnam Co. Missouri. The Christian
Maurer who was born about 1774 or 1775 had some sisters, one of whom, Maria
Maurer, I believe, married Peter Petry. We have evidence of Peter and Maria
Petry sponsoring Johannes Maurer, son of Christian Maurer and Elisabeth Erni
Maurer, in 1799 in "Augusti" Township, Northumberland Co., Pa. (we have the
German-language Taufschein, or baptismal certificate), and before that,
Christian Maurer and Elisabeth Erni Maurer sponsored a child of Peter Petry
and Maria Maurer Petry in about early 1797, in Northumberland Co., probably
Shamokin Township if I recall correctly. I have been researching my Maurers
for about 25 years, live in Germany, and believe my Maurers were originally
from Switzerland. Still trying to find out if they left for Pennsylvania in
1765 (Christian Maurer, on ship Polly) from Alsace or the Palatinate or a
nearby region, as I believe they had migrated from Switzerland before
departing for America.

I am also quite interested in John Maurer, who died about 1781 in Cumru
Township, and in the Maurers of Exeter Township who attended Schwarzwald
Church, and in various Michael Maurers and Peter Maurers, and in early
Maurers in general.

Hope something here helps, I am definitely interested in tracking down
this John, if he is the s/o Henry, you are DAR eligible, as I joined under
Henry a few years ago.

Mary Swanger Courtemanche