STEER-L Archives

Archiver > STEER > 2006-10 > 1160640997

From: "Jack Steer" <>
Subject: Re: [STEER] Document listing Salcombe Ships
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:16:37 +0100

Tony,

Many thanks for the Golden Fleece reference. That records that the Golden
Fleece (registered number 67272) was registered in Salcombe, Devon, had a
tonnage of 176 and in 1874 the master was HORNDEN and the owner HANNAFORD. I
did wonder whether HORNDEN and HARNDEN the ship builder were one and the
same.

I also found another ship that may have been owned by William Wakeham STEER:

The Geraldine (registered number 67274) was registered in Salcombe, Devon in
1876 with a tonnage of 254. Her master was ADAMS and owner was STEER

She also appears in 1879 with a tonnage of 266, but otherwise the details
are the same

But she seems to have passed to new owners as in 1890 her master was WHITE
and she was owned by CRINKS and was registered in Plymouth, Devon

Many thanks or those census entries, I'll tidy up my records.

<<But I do have his burial in Shadycombe Road cemetery, Salcombe. He died on
2.1.1911 aged 85>>

<I wonder if that should be aged 82? According to Free BMD he died in Q1
1911 Kingsbridge (vol 56) page 109) aged 82.>

Agreed, that was the transcription that I was sent.

<By the way, any idea where the Wakeham middle name came from?

I have an Elizabeth WAKEHAM married Thomas WOOD 01 Feb 1768 at Malborough. I
assume that there will be a connection somewhere.>

I have started to take an interest in the WAKEHAM tribe because of these
records from the South Milton Overseers of the poor.

EXAMINATION IN BASTARDY Reference: 3036 A/PO39 Elizabeth STEERE Creation
dates: 1809

ORDER IN BASTARDY Reference: 3036 A/PO43 Elizabeth STEERE and John WAKEHAM
Creation dates: 1809

I haven't had time to get very far with it.

I don't know where William got Wakeham from. As far as I can tell there is
no WAKEHAM marriage in that family on the STEER side. WW's father William
STEER was baptised in Bigbury on 11.6.1786, he was probably married on
15.1.1816 in Brixham St Mary, Devon to Sarah ELLIS. I imagine that Wakeham
came from the ELLIS family, but I have no more on her apart from the 1851
and 1861 censuses that suggest that she was born 1787/8 in Brixham, Devon
and died between 1851 and 1861

Regards,

Jack Steer