STARK-L Archives

Archiver > STARK > 2005-07 > 1121636757

Subject: Re: Aaron STARK, d. by 1811, Seneca Co., NY
Date: 17 Jul 2005 15:45:57 -0600

Classification: Lookup

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/2MJBAEB/1254.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Hello Stark Message Board,

I would like to thank Marilyn Roth for her posting. I believe I have some information that will verify some of the information in her message. However, before I address those items, let me reveal some of my research into the Morris County, New Jersey Stark families, some of which will be supported by source information and some which will be speculation on my part.

I have noticed much of the genealogical order for this branch of Aaron Stark’s (1608 - 1685) descendants, presented on line and elsewhere, has been greatly influenced by the text titled “The Aaron Stark Family, Seven Generations,” compiled by Charles R. Stark and published in 1927. My research has shown a large number of discrepancies in this text and found it has not been a reliable source on the early generations of the Morris County, New Jersey Stark families.

So let’s start at the beginning of this line with Aaron Stark who married Margaret Wells in New London County, Connecticut about 1707. (From this point on, I will refer to the above text as the “CRS text.”) On page 8 of the CRS text he reported a Aaron Stark, ID#8 and I quote from the text:
==========================
8. Aaron (Aaron3, Aaron2, Aaron1), b. 1678, m. Margaret.
Children
+37. Aaron. +38. John. +39. Amos. +40. Isaac. 41. Mary, m. Soloman.+42. Margaret, m. Peter Soloman (Salmon). 43. Hannah, m. Abraham Fulcher.”
==========================
This is the first family reported in the third generation of the book. This looks straight forward until one reviews the fourth generation, indicated in the above by the (+) in front of the individuals identification number. On page 15, CRS reports birth and death data as follows:
==========================
Aaron Stark, ID#37, born about 1709, died January 21, 1772, married Elizabeth Young.

John Stark, ID#38, born about 1730, died 1825, married Mary Dilla who died in 1825.

Amos Stark, ID#39, born before 1729, died 1767, married first, Unknown, married second, Mrs. Hannah (Goble) Tompkins, born 1729, died February 7, 1799.

Isaac Stark, ID#40, married Elizabeth Reed

Margaret Stark, ID#42, died October 1, 1820 at the age of 80 years; married Peter Salmon, born November 25, 1740, died February 19, 1825 at age of 84 years, 2months, 25 days. (The CRS text on page 16 gave Margaret an ID# of 41 while on page 8, her ID# was 42. Both are the same person and I have given her the ID# reported on page 8)
===========================
The death date CRS reported for Margaret Stark, ID#42, on page 16, would imply if she were 80 years old in 1820, then she was born in 1740. Therefore, according to the CRS text, Margaret (Surname not given in the CRS text), the wife of Aaron Stark, ID#8, had a son named Aaron, ID#37 in 1709 and a daughter, Margaret, ID#42, 31 years later. If this Margaret who married Aaron Stark, ID#8, was 16 years old when she married, for example in 1708, then she would have been 48 years old when her daughter, Margaret, ID#42, was born in the year 1740. Not impossible, but also not very probable, especially if this Margaret was older than 16 years old when she married. I would speculate the Margaret, ID#42, was most likely the daughter of Aaron Stark, ID#37, and was named after her grandmother. This possibility will be addressed at a later date.

The Margaret who married Aaron Stark, ID#8, was most likely Margaret Wells, born May 19, 1682. That her surname was wells comes from a deed recorded January 20, 1713/14 (Source: Groton New London County, CT, Deed Records, FHL Film #4293, Book 1) This deed transaction records Aaron Stark, John Wells, & Thomas Wells received 35 pounds from Joseph Wells for a lot by their father, deceased. Aaron was probably a brother-in-law to these Wells family members, hence, the given name of his spouse must have been Wells. The birth date comes from the research of Dawn Carlisle .

If this birth date is correct, the Margaret Wells who married Aaron Stark, ID#8, would have been 58 years old when Martha was born which would be practically impossible. It’s possible Aaron Stark, ID#8, could have married a second time, but I have found no record this occurred. Therefore, assuming the above data is correct, this would reinforce the probability Margaret Stark, ID#42, was not a daughter of Aaron Stark, ID#8, and Margaret Wells. However, Margaret Stark, ID#42, did live in Morris County, and did marry Peter Salmon, proof of this fact to be addressed at a later date.

I believe there was an Aaron Stark, ID#37, born in 1708 who died in 1772. A cemetery survey from the 1920’s reported Captain Aaron Stark, born in 1708, died in 1772, was buried in Flanders, Morris County, New Jersey, and was most likely the Aaron Stark, ID#37, reported in the CRS text. The CRS text reported Aaron Stark, ID#37, who married Elizabeth Young, had children named Amos, ID#99, Aaron, ID#100, and Jonathan, ID#101, who CRS reports married March 14, 1765, Margaret Ball. I can say with certainty, Amos Stark, ID#99, was the same Amos Stark, ID#39, reported by the CRS text to have been a son of Aaron Stark, ID#8, my proof to follow.

On page 15, Amos Stark, ID#39, was reported, as above, to have married Mrs. Hannah (Goble) Tompkins. CRS reports they had children named Abraham, ID#109; Isaac, ID#110; Jacob, ID#111; and Amos, ID#112, born October 31, 1767. CRS provides a note which says: “He (Amos Stark) is reported to have lived at one time at the head of Seneca Lake. He was twice married, his second wife being the Widow Tompkins whose maiden name was Goble.”

Now go to page 26 of the CRS text. On this page CRS reports Amos Stark, ID#99, m. Hannah Goble, b. 1729, died February 7, 1799. On page 15, CRS reports Amos Stark, ID#39, born before 1729, died 1767, married first, Unknown, married second, Mrs. Hannah (Goble) Tompkins, born 1729, died February 7, 1799. Can there be any doubt Amos ID#39 and Amos ID#99 are the same person, reported in the CRS text to have different parents? On page 26, for Amos ID#99, CRS has these comments: “Amos Stark was a resident of Morristown, N. J. His will, dated Aug. 6, was probated Sept. 18, 1767, in that town.” CRS reports this Amos, ID#99 had children named Abraham, ID#281; Isaac, ID#282, and Jacob, ID#283. Note these children have the same given names as the above Abraham, ID#109; Isaac, ID#110; and Jacob, ID#111.

Further research has revealed there was a probate record for Amos Stark in Morristown, as reported in the CRS text. An abstract of this record states:
===============================
Source: (Lib. 1, p. 159) 1767, Aug. 26. STARK, Enos (Amos), of Morristown, Morris Co., yeoman; will of: All my lands in this and Sussex Co. to be sold, if my Executors think best. Wife, Hannah, all the personal and real she had when I married her, and £45 beside. Remainder to my children, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; and my Executors are to consider the child that my wife is now pregnant with. Executors - Aaron Stark and Capt. John Brookfield. Witnesses - Job Brookfield, Uzal Tomkins, James Gillispie. Proved Sept. 18, 1767.
===============================
Clearly, the Amos Stark who prepared this will had sons named Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as presented in the CRS text and the dates of signing and probate agree with the CRS text as presented on page 26 for Amos Stark, ID#99. Further, I would argue the sons Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, were of age and not children of Hannah Goble. However, as presented, Hannah did have an unborn child, that child, I would speculate, being the Amos Stark, ID#112, born October 31, 1767, reported above to be a child of Amos Stark, ID#39.

The text, “Rockaway Records of Morris County, N. J. Families,” by J. Percy Crayon (Rockaway, N.J., Rockaway Publishing Co., 1902), reports “"Ichabod TOMPKINS was the second minister of the Baptist Church at Morristown, from Nov. 6, 1759, to Jan. 3, 1761, at which date he died….He married Hannah GOBLE Dec. 24, 1746. She married (2) Amos Stark, and died Feb. 7, 1797, aged 70 years.” Therefore, Hannah most likely did not marry Amos until after January 3, 1761. The first child born to Hannah and Ichabod was Uzal Tompkins who was a witness to the above will of Amos Stark. Therefore, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were children of the first wife of Amos, her name unknown, and Amos Stark, Junior, born October 31, 1767, was a son of Hannah Goble.

The birth of Amos, I would speculate, was probably quite a bit earlier than 1727. I would speculate Hannah was most likely born before 1730 if she was no older than 16 years old when she married Ichabod Tompkins in 1746. If Amos was the same age as Hannah, then he would have been born before 1730. However, when he married Hannah, he had three children, poosibly of legal age and there were eight Tompkins children that came with the marriage, none of which would have been over 21 years old at the time of the marriage. If Hannah was looking after the interest of her children, I believe she most likely married a man of means and one who was well established in the community, that is, someone as old or older than herself.

Amos, at the very least, I believe, was over thirty and could have been forty years old or older when he married Hannah. I would speculate the birth of Amos occurred between 1710 and 1725 and his father was most likely Aaron Stark who married Margaret Wells. Since Aaron Stark who married Elizabeth Young would have been 2 in 1710 and 17 in 1725, I believe he was most likely not the father of Amos, but his brother. I believe circumstances for Amos and Hannah lean towards Amos being born at least before 1725. Again, this is only speculation and no records have been found to support this theory.

My conclusions:

Aaron Stark who married Margaret Wells, had two sons and possibly two daughters when he moved to New Jersey about 1732. Most certainly, Aaron Stark, ID#37, born in 1709, was a son, and most likely Amos Stark, ID#39, born between 1710 and 1725, was a son. I believe John Stark, ID#38 and Margaret Stark, ID#42, were children of Aaron Stark, ID#37, and Elizabeth Young. Isaac Stark, ID#40, was most likely the son of Amos Stark, ID#39 and his unknown first wife. The parentage and existence of Mary Stark, ID#41, and Hannah Stark, ID#43, from my research can only be attributed to the CRS text, for I have found no confirmation sources on these individuals as yet. Therefore, the following would be my organization for the first two generations in Morris County, these being individuals reported in the CRS text. There may be other individuals misplaced in the text which I will address at a later date. However, the following represents what my research has revealed at this time and furth!
er explanations and proof will follow in another message.

Descendants of Aaron Stark, III (to NJ)

Generation No. 1

1. Aaron3 Stark, III (to NJ) (Aaron2, Aaron1) was born 1678 in New London County, Connecticut, and died Aft. 1744 in Probably Morris County, New Jersey. He married Margaret Wells Bef. 1709 in Probably Groton, New London County, Connecticut, daughter of John Wells and Margaret Allyn. She was born May 19, 1682 in Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut, and died Aft. January 1725/26 in Connecticut or New Jersey.

Children of Aaron Stark and Margaret Wells are:
+2i.Aaron4 Stark IV, born 1708 in Groton, New London County, Connecticut; died January 21, 1772 in Flanders, New Jersey.
+3ii.Amos Stark, Senior, born Bet. 1710 - 1725 in New London County, Connecticut; died 1767 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey.
4iii.Mary Stark. She married Unknown Soloman.
5iv.Hannah Stark. She married Abraham Fulcher.

Generation No. 2

2. Aaron4 Stark IV (Aaron3, Aaron2, Aaron1) was born 1708 in Groton, New London County, Connecticut, and died January 21, 1772 in Flanders, New Jersey. He married Elizabeth Young.

Children of Aaron Stark and Elizabeth Young are:
6i.Aaron5 Stark V.
7ii.John Stark, Lt. Col., born April 01, 1733 in Flanders, Morris County, New Jersey; died May 10, 1822 in Flanders, Morris County, New Jersey. He married Mary Dilla May 1765; born November 27, 1740 in Groton, New London County, Connecticut; died 1825 in New Jersey.
8iii.Margaret Stark, born Abt. 1740 in Mt. Olive, Morris County, New Jersey; died October 01, 1820 in Morris County, New Jersey. She married Peter Salmon, Capt. January 27, 1763 in Mt. Olive, Morris, New Jersey; born November 25, 1740 in Mt Olive, Morris County, New Jersey; died February 19, 1825 in Morris County, New Jersey.
9iv.Amos Stark, Colonel, born March 23, 1750/51; died November 10, 1832. He married Polly Vantile, (VanTyle?); born October 15, 1749; died December 23, 1810.

3. Amos4 Stark, Senior (Aaron3, Aaron2, Aaron1) was born Bet. 1710 - 1725 in New London County, Connecticut, and died 1767 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey. He married (1) Unknown Spouse #1. He married (2) Hannah Goble (Widow Tompkins) Aft. April 1761 in Morris County, New Jersey. She was born 1729, and died February 07, 1799.

Children of Amos Stark and Unknown #1 are:
10i.Abraham5 Stark, died 1814. He married Elizabeth Sperry.
11ii.Jacob Stark.
12iii.Isaac Stark, Senior, born Bef. 1755 in Morris County, New Jersey. He married Elizabeth Reed.

Child of Amos Stark and Hannah Tompkins) is:
13i.Amos5 Stark, Junior, born October 31, 1767 in Morristown, New Jersey; died March 21, 1850 in Big Flats, Chemung County, New York. He married Elizabeth VanTassel December 21, 1794 in Minisink, Orange County, New York; born July 22, 1770 in Minisink, Orange County, New York; died May 05, 1859 in Michigan.

This thread: