STANDLEY-L Archives

Archiver > STANDLEY > 2000-12 > 0977881510

From: "Jean Dalrymple" <>
Subject: [STANDLEY] Phunnie for the week, thank you David.. jd <><
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 18:45:10 -0700

I thought these two items might express some of your hopes and frustrations.
Have a happy brick-wall-breaking New Year!
The following is to be sung to the tune of "The Twelve Days of Christmas".
On the twelfth day of Christmas
My true love gave to me,
Twelve census searches,
Eleven printer ribbons,
Ten e-mail contacts,
Nine headstone rubbings,
Eight birth and death dates,
Seven town clerks sighing,
Six second cousins,
Five coats of arms,
Four GEDCOM files,
Three old wills,
Two CD-ROMS
And a branch in my family tree.

Tracing My Family Tree
I started out calmly tracing my tree
To find, if I could, the makings of me. And all that I had was great
grandfather's name Not knowing his wife or from which way he came. I chased
him across a long line of states And came up with pages and pages of dates.
When all put together it made me forlorn
I'd proven poor great grandpa had never been born!! One day I was sure the
truth I had found Determined to turn this whole thing upside down I looked
up the records of one Uncle John But found the old man to be younger than
son! Then when my hopes were fast growing dim I came across records that
must have been him. The facts I collected then made me quite sad Dear old
great Grandfather was never a Dad! I think maybe someone is pulling my leg.
I'm not at all sure I wasn't hatched from an egg. After hundreds of dollars
I've spent on my tree I can't help but wonder if I'm really me!!
Mrs. Charles Dean