SPELMAN-L Archives

Archiver > SPELMAN > 2011-11 > 1322069852

From: ,
Subject: Re: [SPELMAN] William Spelman
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:37:32 -0000

Author: spelman
Surnames: Spelman Spellman
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.spelman/25.27.1.1.1.1.2/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Our Spelman family originated with John Spellman born 1802 in Co. Mayo, Ireland. John's wife was Catherine "x" and his three children were Patrick,Bridget and Michael. John and Catherine were married around 1830 and their children were all born before 1835. When Michael was a few months old, John left for the U.S. and never returned for them. Instead he married Ann Austin from Co. Leitrim and had two children born in Vermont, Mary Ann (Mullarky) and James. My husband, William is descended from James. Northern Illinois was the home of John Spellman and his new family. He and Ann are buried there. Needless to say this became a scandalous affair when the children from Ireland came in search of him.

His Ireland family eventually settled in Iowa and then some in California and some in Missouri.

If you Spelman family was Irish, or Catholic, or has a connection to any of these places I mentioned, let me know. I have been in contact with two descendants of Bridget working out their line of the family.

The family dropped an "l" in the Spel(l)man name.

Betty Spelman

Important Note: