SOUTHEAST-PIONEERS-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTHEAST-PIONEERS > 2003-01 > 1041982033

From: "jmize" <>
Subject: Re: [SE Pioneers] Black sheep - BATES
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:27:13 -0700
References: <a5.33386ec4.2b4ba4f0@aol.com> <005401c2b605$4a155940$06409a44@jimbo> <004501c2b64c$8679e3a0$2c5145cf@com> <000601c2b653$64504c40$565f5c18@Margie> <000701c2b658$23ee6b00$1ba6d618@.knology.net> <001401c2b660$29e9a990$133bf240@DG7ZG321> <008b01c2b697$53213f80$1ba6d618@.knology.net>

BATES - Surely you've found no lack of information on this surname;
beginning with "Bloody Bill" Bates, a Tory during the Rev. War ?

How about colorful "Aunt Jenny" Bates, daughter of James M. BATES and Anna
C. BROWN ? Her story is partially excerpted below:

Name: Aunt "Jenny": Louisa Elizabeth Jane Bates (Brooks);
"As she sowed, so did she reap"

Sex: Female

Father: James M. Bates (abt 1800 - bet 1855 and 1860)

Mother: Anna C. Brown (Feb 12 1808 - Feb 17 1873)

Individual Facts

Birth Jan 22 1826 KY (or alt. Jefferson Co AL
; per Gentry)

Death Mar 20 1924 (age 98) Poplar Springs
(Liberty Sch cem); Lawrence Co AL; so. of Mt. Hope

Military Raised sons to avenge death of
husband&son; she shot 2 of 8 herself

Occupation Served as a mid-wife to the local
community; Winston & Lawrence Co Ala

Misc Reported to have used skull of
victim as bread mixing bowl

Misc Proud that her sons "died like
men with their boots on"

Marriages/Children

1. Seminole War vet - 1836; Unionist Willis Brooks; killed by CSA homeguard,
1863

Marriage Jun 17 1841 (age 15) Tuscaloosa Al

Children John Brooks (abt 1845 - 1863); killed by CSA
homeguard, 1863

Angeline , half indian? Brooks (Jan 26
1846 - Apr 20 1935); married, moved to Johnson Co TX

Mack Brooks (1849 - abt 1880); disappeared
on Chisolm Trail cattle drive

Amanda Brooks (abt 1851 - )

Willis Jr. Brooks (Apr 3 1854 - Sep 22

Notes (Individual)

(A) General: From: "Joel palmer" <>

Subject: Grandpo said - the BATES/BROOKS Vendetta for CW killing (trying to
impress "loyalists" into Confederate Service; adapted

Date: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 9:54 AM

In the early 1930s my family had no radio,or tv.Cold winter nights we set
near the fire in the fireplace, freezing on one side and burning on the
other.old folks lived with their children in those days,and they entertained
the grandchildren with their stories.and drove others nuts,because they told
them over and over. I loved them myself.

I loved this one.Here goes,About the year of 1863 a good hard working family
(not calling any names) livening in the east part of Winston/Lawrence Co
Ala) was visited by the CSA home guards,The man of the family wanted nothing
to do with the war and refused to go fight on either side,because of that
the homeguards beat him, and killed him (and his son), as his wife and
several of his children looked on.

Years passed and the mother made a living somehow,the boys
grew up,but all them years the mother was making plans for revenge, telling
the children we have to kill ever one of those (So&So) men that was in the
party that killed your father, so when the time was right she went on the
warpath. She knew the names of everyone. And they started hunting and
killing, I understand they got them all that was living around in the area
at that time except one that moved west (TX/OK). She worked on his case
until she found out where he was living,she sent two of the boys to get
him,So they caught a train and off they went to the nearest town where the
man (homeguard) lived, rented horses and rode to the man's house. When they
arrived the man was setting out in the yard under a tree. The boys get down
off their horses and walk up to the x homeguard.The man not knowing who the
boys were has a big smile and a howdy for them. One of the boys said to him
we are from Alabama and the son of --------. The homeguard says "oh God",
and his hands started to shake,also his lips and then all over. The boys
knew they had the right man so they pumped some lead in him. His wife heard
the shots and came out of the house screaming. As the boys rode away, back
to Alabama. Now their mother could rest. I am not sure but I believe they
got away with it. Seems the law never bothered them. That's all for now
folks have a good day.

---

(B) My husband's grandfather [Henry Lee Simmons, on his mothers side] lived
with Aunt Jenny (BATES) who was his grandmother. he was also with Henry when
he got shot for making whiskey. they were running buddies. He got away -
Henry didn't. He told of many interesting stories. he would always tell how
kind aunt jenny was. and how she paid herself 20.00 a day to mind her own
business, when people wanted to know were she got all her money. keep the
stories going it is a fascinating family!!!!!

terry w. jacobs

(C) My cousin was Sam Baker-alias "Coon" who married into the Brooks
family. Aunt Jenny Brooks was his mother-in-law .
When Sam was young, one of their nearest neighbors was Willis Brooks, Sr.
Willis and his oldest son John had been tortured and killed by a band of
Confederate Home guards.Brooks had been suspected of aiding and hiding out
Tories in his home. Eight men belonging to White's Company of Home Guards
were implicated in their deaths. Willis' wife, Elizabeth Jane "Aunt Jenny"
Brooks, gathered her remaining children around her and made them swear to
avenge the deaths of their father and brother. As the Brooks boys grew up,
they went about fulfilling their blood oath with deadly precision. Aunt
Jenny was of Cherokee ancestry and taught her sons to be the best shots in
the area. She would later proudly say, " I wasted many a keg of powder
teaching my boys to shoot!" Gainum, or Gains Brooks, was the best shot in
the mountains. He could "whirl around on a boot leg and cut his initials on
a post."
After living in Texas for a while, Sam returned to bring one of the guilty
men to justice. In September of 1882, Sam Baker and Henry and Willis Brooks,
Jr. returned to even the score.
Wesley Williams, a member of the Confederate Home Guard unit that had
tortured and murdered John Brooks and Willis Sr., was found living at a
settlement known as Allen's Factory in the extreme northeastern corner of
Marion County. The area took its name from a water powered thread mill built
on a rugged and picturesque section of Bear Creek and owned by the Allen
family. Wes Williams lived across the creek from the factory and worked
hauling goods down stream. The Brooks made several threats against Williams
but waited for the right time to act upon them.
A narrow wooden bridge, suspended by steel cable, spanned the creek within
sight of the thread mill. Williams would have to cross the creek at this
point to return home. On the eveining of September 10, 1882, Henry and
Willis, accompanied by their brothers-in-law, Neal Sammons and Sam Baker,
waited in the shadows for Wes Williams to pass. As Williams was about to
cross the bridge with his team of oxen, the Brooks riddled his body with
lead. One of the Brooks finished off Williams by crushing his skull with a
large rock. The bridge and mill are gone but the old timers of the area say
blood stains still mark the spot where he was killed. A party was sent after
the Brooks but were afraid to follow them into the hills and hollows. No
charges were ever filed and they were never prosecuted.
My cousin, Sam, was involved in everything from feuds, to train robbery, to
being a sheriff. He eventually died of a gunshot in a argument over his son.
There was another feud Aunt Jenny's family was involved in with former
slaves. Interested? Just let me know.
This story was taken from the book, "Sam Baker:Winston County's Gunfighter"
written by Edward Herring of Mt. Hope, Alabama. Jackie B.

From: "walterboswell" <>
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: [SE Pioneers] Black sheep thank goodness

Oh, Phooey! Now I am jealous, Kathy. You wouldn't happen to have a Boswell
or two in that famous woodpile would you?

What about a Bates? An Evans? A Baggett. Shoot! I'll settle for a Smith or a
Harris. Say--now that's the ticket! Between the Smiths and Harrises, I
should be kin to everybody in the world!

Hello, cousin Jesse.

Walt
"Looking for Cousins in All the Wrong Places"

From: "Kathy Bowen" <>
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [SE Pioneers] Black sheep thank goodness

> Desperate for a Desperado,
> Check out my other post and take your pick, I have the well doers a plenty
> and I insist on keeping even my vigilanties, but you may borrow one if you
> like. Couldn't help but laugh at your post. I think the closest I can get
> to filling your request would be my cousins that rode with Quantrill
Raiders
> and the James Brothers. These were of the Hudspeth Line.
> By the way you are evil, but all in good humor, that is another thing it
is
> all about. ha
> What a hoot !!! Now that is definately an open mind to actually be hunting
> for a scoundrel, when many of us have them falling out of books and such
to
> pop us on the heads and even shock the daylights out of us!!!ha
> Good luck, keep searching and I just bet you will find one!
> Best Regards, Kathy
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "walterboswell" <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 8:21 AM
> Subject: Re: [SE Pioneers] Black sheep thank goodness
> > That's what I'm after--a scoundrel in the family. I've got nothing but
> > ever-do-wells. No Yankees. No Loyalists. No gun runners. No thieves. Not
> > even one randy divorcée. It's enough to give a body the bellyache. No
> doubt
> > about it. What my family needs is a misfit, a deviate, a deserter.
Shoot!
> > I'd give the whole surname up for just a stage coach robber...a
> gunfighter?
> > Okay. So nobody promised me a rose garden, but gee, golly whiz, I sure
> could
> > use just one (Pete) Rose.
> > Walt Boswell
> > "Desperate for a Desperado"
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Margie Daniels" <>
> > To: <>
> > Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 7:47 AM
> > Subject: [SE Pioneers] Black sheep thank goodness
> > > Shoot!
> > >
> > > My 3rd great Uncle was accused of murdering his uncle.
> > >
> > > Was cleared later but it sure did create loads of records for me to
> > > research.
> > > Without that would have not found a thing.
> > > Margie
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From: "Carole Johnson" <>
> > > To: <>
> > > Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 6:58 AM
> > > Subject: Re: [SE Pioneers] Deserters
> > > > Dear Margie,
> > > > I know you will be inundated with "me too" posts, so please use your
> > > > descretion as to whether or not you place this one on the list.
> > > >
> > > > As with many other family researchers I long to know the real
> > > > truth about my ancestors. This includes the bad with the good.
> > > > I have a direct ancestor I've had great difficulty researching
> > > > due to the fact that there was an apparent rift between the
> > > > children of his first and second marriages. It seems the children
> > > > ==== SOUTHEAST-PIONEERS Mailing List ====
> > > > Please stick to the subject of Southeast Pioneers. NO spamming, no
> rude
> > > treatment of others. Personal comments should be kept just that
> personal.
> > > This is a big list I ask that you refrain from any subject other than
> > > Genealogical research of South East Pioneers.
> > > >
> > > > People will forget what you said and forget what you did but they
will
> > > never forget how you made them feel. Be kind and considerate in all
> > things.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > ==== SOUTHEAST-PIONEERS Mailing List ====
> > > Please stick to the subject of Southeast Pioneers. NO spamming, no
rude
> > treatment of others. Personal comments should be kept just that
personal.
> > This is a big list I ask that you refrain from any subject other than
> > Genealogical research of South East Pioneers.
> > >
> > > People will forget what you said and forget what you did but they will
> > never forget how you made them feel. Be kind and considerate in all
> things.
> > ==== SOUTHEAST-PIONEERS Mailing List ====
> > Please stick to the subject of Southeast Pioneers. NO spamming, no rude
> treatment of others. Personal comments should be kept just that personal.
> This is a big list I ask that you refrain from any subject other than
> Genealogical research of South East Pioneers.
> > People will forget what you said and forget what you did but they will
> never forget how you made them feel. Be kind and considerate in all
things.
> ==== SOUTHEAST-PIONEERS Mailing List ====
> Please stick to the subject of Southeast Pioneers. NO spamming, no rude
treatment of others. Personal comments should be kept just that personal.
This is a big list I ask that you refrain from any subject other than
Genealogical research of South East Pioneers.
> People will forget what you said and forget what you did but they will
never forget how you made them feel. Be kind and considerate in all things.

==== SOUTHEAST-PIONEERS Mailing List ====
Please stick to the subject of Southeast Pioneers. NO spamming, no rude
treatment of others. Personal comments should be kept just that personal.
This is a big list I ask that you refrain from any subject other than
Genealogical research of South East Pioneers.

People will forget what you said and forget what you did but they will never
forget how you made them feel. Be kind and considerate in all things.