SOUTHEAST-PIONEERS-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTHEAST-PIONEERS > 2003-01 > 1041982033

From: "jmize" <>
Subject: Re: [SE Pioneers] Black sheep - BATES
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:27:13 -0700

BATES - Surely you've found no lack of information on this surname;
beginning with "Bloody Bill" Bates, a Tory during the Rev. War ?

How about colorful "Aunt Jenny" Bates, daughter of James M. BATES and Anna
C. BROWN ? Her story is partially excerpted below:

Name: Aunt "Jenny": Louisa Elizabeth Jane Bates (Brooks);
"As she sowed, so did she reap"

Sex: Female

Father: James M. Bates (abt 1800 - bet 1855 and 1860)

Mother: Anna C. Brown (Feb 12 1808 - Feb 17 1873)

Individual Facts

Birth Jan 22 1826 KY (or alt. Jefferson Co AL
; per Gentry)

Death Mar 20 1924 (age 98) Poplar Springs
(Liberty Sch cem); Lawrence Co AL; so. of Mt. Hope

Military Raised sons to avenge death of
husband&son; she shot 2 of 8 herself

Occupation Served as a mid-wife to the local
community; Winston & Lawrence Co Ala

Misc Reported to have used skull of
victim as bread mixing bowl

Misc Proud that her sons "died like
men with their boots on"

Marriages/Children

1. Seminole War vet - 1836; Unionist Willis Brooks; killed by CSA homeguard,
1863

Marriage Jun 17 1841 (age 15) Tuscaloosa Al

Children John Brooks (abt 1845 - 1863); killed by CSA
homeguard, 1863

Angeline , half indian? Brooks (Jan 26
1846 - Apr 20 1935); married, moved to Johnson Co TX

Mack Brooks (1849 - abt 1880); disappeared
on Chisolm Trail cattle drive

Amanda Brooks (abt 1851 - )

Willis Jr. Brooks (Apr 3 1854 - Sep 22
1902); killed in gunfight; Eufala OK

Caledonia "Dona" Brooks (Nov 1855 - Jan 1
1905)

Gainum Brooks (abt 1859 - Apr 12 1884);
killed in gunfight, Lawrence Co AL w/ Negro-Indian named Hubbard

Frances Brooks (Dec 12 1863 - 1899); married
Sam Baker who was murdered in McIntosh Co OK

Henry B. "Peg Leg" Brooks (Apr 3 1862 - 1920
?); bootlegger; killed by Posse in shootout, Winston Co AL

2. Neutral/Unionist Jacob Strauder Johnson

Marriage abt 1871 (age 45) Lawrence/Winston Co
AL

Notes (Individual)

(A) General: From: "Joel palmer" <>