SHERWOOD-L Archives

Archiver > SHERWOOD > 1997-12 > 0882643610

From: JWinter588 <>
Subject: [SHERWOOD-L] Sgt. John Sherwood, 1733, Stratfield CT
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:46:50 EST

Hi Sherwood family,

In going through the microfilm vital records and church records of
Cornwall and Bridgeport, CT on my direct Sherwood line and other family
surnames related by marriage to my GGGGrandmother Orilla (Sherwood) Bonney,
Orilla's father, John Sherwood, is titled "Sgt". I would like to know if
anyone has found a record that states in what military capacity my 4th Great
Grandfather Sgt. John Sherwood served - a Trainband, a militia Company or
Regiment? Also in same church in Stratfield, same year, is record of a "Capt.
Sherwood". My thought is that these are probably two separate people. Has
this "Capt. Sherwood" been identified and is he possibly the father of Sgt.
John Sherwood?
- United Congretational Church of Bridgeport, CT (Stratfield)
(LDS microfilm # 0003830), Volume 1
* Page 48: Sgt John Sherwood m. Mary Walker at Stratfield 14 June 1733
* Page 27: Sgt. John Sherwood's wife Mary (note: Mary Walker) admitted a
memter in full communion 2 July 1733
* Page 38: 28 July 1733 Capt. Sherwood & wife in full communion and present
members of this church (note: first names not given)
* Page 53: Captain Sherwood voted be messenger for the year ensuing
on 21 January 1749
Regarding Stratfield, information provided by Mr. James Davis is that
Stratfield is shown in a Fairfield 1693-1989 book, map page 32 shows between
Norwalk on the West and Stratford on the east and page 54-56 talks about the
outlivers who lived about 4 miles from Fairfield town center on the border
with Stratford (an area called Pequonnock).

Happy holidays all,
Jeannie Winter