SDDATA-L ArchivesArchiver > SDDATA > 2005-01 > 1105134775
From: Archives <>
Subject: Sd-Faulk Co. History (Chapter XVI Educ)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:52:58 -0500
Faulk County, SD History .....Chapter XVI Educational 1909
Copyright. All rights reserved.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Joy Fisher January 7, 2005, 4:52 pm
It was not long that the sod shanty stood alone; for these early,
persevering pioneers were of that class who had enjoyed and highly prized
educational advantages. The sod school house came as an accompaniment to the
humble homes that in a day sprang up over the broad prairies, so lately the home
of wild beasts and wilder Indians, who roamed undisturbed over these beautiful
prairies. The education of their children was among the first duties of parental
life, and with food and clothing stood in equal rank, all absolutely necessary.
There were sources of worry connected with, and a part of, school life. The
going to and coming from school along a dim and almost unmarked trail, the
occasional predatory bands of Indians passing in close proximity, and the storm
and blizzard, that left desolation and death in their train, were all to be
contended with, and added much to the burden of life that bore so heavy upon
these sturdy pioneers. Yet, in spite of all these, the good work went on. The
school was so highly prized and its importance so fully realized, that it kept
equal pace with the best efforts of pioneer life. Even those who had enjoyed few
educational advantages, became interested and were anxious for their children to
improve every opportunity to learn. The sod school house was soon succeeded by
good, substantial frame buildings, and as early as 1886, became landmarks even
in remote parts of the county, by which the location of various pioneer settlers
Townships were organized for school purposes, taxes levied and good,
comfortable school houses erected wherever required. From the first, Faulkton
was prominent and active in the interest of education. Among the early teachers
were, Mrs. McCoy, Mrs. Bissell, Mrs. Putney, Mr. Pangburn, Mrs. G. S. Staples
and Mr. Coste. Rev. Mr. Curtis, Mr. George A. Morse, C. C. Moulton, J. H.
Bottum, C. C. Norton, Mr. Bissell and Mr. Bryden were active supporters in all
that advanced the interests of the common schools. It was not until 1900, that
the present school building, suitable to accommodate all the schools in Faulkton
In 1901 the High School was organized with Prof. J. F. Armstrong, principal,
and Rev. Mr. Curtis, Mrs. Frieze, Lula Pickler and Miss Coman, teachers.
In 1908 the Faulkton High School is the equal of any high school in the
state, its graduates passing a creditable examination for taking a collegiate
course, and of as high intellectual, social and moral standard as those with
whom they associate.
The present board of education is C. C. Norton, clerk; J. H. Wallace,
treasurer, and the following board of directors; F. M. Byrne, J. H. Bottum, C.
C. Norton, P. H. O'Neil and Frank Turner. Prof. H. B. Callin, superintendent,
with a most excellent corps of assistants, are advancing the high standard of
excellence the school has already attained.
The county superintendent of schools, Mrs. I. M. Alden, makes the following
report as to the schools in the county for 1907:
"There are one thousand six hundred and thirty-one pupils enrolled in the
county and there are eighty-two school houses, valued at $56,000. There were
seventy-eight teachers employed, to whom $21,694 were paid for monthly wages.
Each district contains a school library. The total expenditures for district
schools for the year A. D., 1907, was $53,976.82."
CAPTAIN C. H. ELLIS
TOGETHER WITH BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF PIONEERS AND PROMINENT CITIZENS
File at: http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sd/faulk/history/other/gms27chapterx.txt
This file has been created by a form at http://www.genrecords.org/sdfiles/
File size: 4.1 Kb
|Sd-Faulk Co. History (Chapter XVI Educ) by Archives <>|