SCT-WIGTOWNSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-WIGTOWNSHIRE > 2002-01 > 1010313195

From: "CGMcKay" <>
Subject: [Wig]: Arrivals from Ireland in Galloway 1840-1860
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:34:08 +0100

Dear Crawford, I take your point which is a valid one. Apart from a place name on a document, the next best bet may be a place name on a gravestone. So I would be eternally grateful to all our gravestone cognoscenti if they would let me know if they turn up any further McCoy or Bratten inscriptions, particularly in Kirkcolm. Trouble is that by 1881, several of the McCoys had gone over to using the form McKie and the McKies are many in Bonnie Galloway. William and Ann McKie both died at Inch so there might be some gravestone at Inch with a missing clue about their Irish background.
One other line of thought comes to mind. Has anybody out there any acquaintance with old Masonic records for Stranraer and district, supposing there to be such things ?
Best wishes. Craig.