SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2011-07 > 1311420141

From: "Jean Whimp" <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Roll call McCallum family - based on Vol 6,Issue 160
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:52:21 +0930

Hi Ken,
Not sure that I know what the ref to Roll Call McCallum family is. I have
a John MacCallum (or McCallum), my Gt grandfather estimated birth 1783 and
death 1838 His death was at Tobermory but I know nothing more than that he
was married to Catherine Maclean of Bunessan in 1815. If John was a younger
brother of your Duncan Maccallum then it is quite likely that if he lived in
Bunessan he would have known Catherine Maclean of Bunessan. Catherine's
father was the publican at Bunessan and John went on to be the publican in
Tobermory . I looks like I'd better do some more searching. I presume you
have hunted through Jo Curries book for any details of your family. John
MacCallum Seniors daughter Mary Isabella is my Grandmother but she died in
1915 in Victoria. She has married Archibald Campbell who came back from
Australia in 1860 to marry her in Glasgow and then took his pregnant wife
bavk on the ship to Australia.
I can't help with the Donald Cook MacCallum.
I should add that John MacCallum's son John was a lawyer in Tobermory and
defended people in relation to the clearances.
Jean Whimp