SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2011-07 > 1311420141

From: "Jean Whimp" <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Roll call McCallum family - based on Vol 6,Issue 160
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:52:21 +0930
References: <mailman.385.1311139654.17293.sct-isleofmull@rootsweb.com><20110723065703.RVNM29310.nskntotgx02p.mx.bigpond.com@your12a2bd8901>
In-Reply-To: <20110723065703.RVNM29310.nskntotgx02p.mx.bigpond.com@your12a2bd8901>

Hi Ken,
Not sure that I know what the ref to Roll Call McCallum family is. I have
a John MacCallum (or McCallum), my Gt grandfather estimated birth 1783 and
death 1838 His death was at Tobermory but I know nothing more than that he
was married to Catherine Maclean of Bunessan in 1815. If John was a younger
brother of your Duncan Maccallum then it is quite likely that if he lived in
Bunessan he would have known Catherine Maclean of Bunessan. Catherine's
father was the publican at Bunessan and John went on to be the publican in
Tobermory . I looks like I'd better do some more searching. I presume you
have hunted through Jo Curries book for any details of your family. John
MacCallum Seniors daughter Mary Isabella is my Grandmother but she died in
1915 in Victoria. She has married Archibald Campbell who came back from
Australia in 1860 to marry her in Glasgow and then took his pregnant wife
bavk on the ship to Australia.
I can't help with the Donald Cook MacCallum.
I should add that John MacCallum's son John was a lawyer in Tobermory and
defended people in relation to the clearances.
Jean Whimp

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Ken McCallum
Sent: Saturday, 23 July 2011 4:27 PM
Subject: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Roll call McCallum family - based on Vol 6, Issue
160

Hi

This is Ken McCallum from Darwin, Australia, previously from Newcastle NSW.

I have an interest in a family of McCallums who emigrated to Oz per the
British King in 1838/39.

They were Duncan McCallum and Catherine Ferguson and nine of their supposed
thirteen children. I have a good deal of information about what happened to
the family once they arrived in Oz, but am interested in learning more about
their ancestry in SCT.

Duncan is thought to have been born 5 Nov 1775, at Kilninian, a son of
Malcolm McCallum and Ann Lamont, of Craigaig (Source OPR K+K, 544/1)

Catherine Ferguson is thought to be a daughter, born 29 Nov 1778, to
Archibald Ferguson and Ann Ferguson, who married 30 Nov 1767 at
Treshnish.(Source OPRs K+K 544/1)

The family are thought to have been living in the Ross of Mull before
sailing from Tobermory. Any information that anyone has would be greatly
appreciated please.

I also have another query concerning a Donald Cook McCallum, who shows up in
the same area of NSW where my family settled, in the Goulburn area of NSW. I
am unable to make any connection between this Donald Cook McCallum and my
family - does anyone have any information about him please? He may have come
via NZ?

Regards to all fellow Mull researchers

Ken McCallum
Darwin NT Australia

Today's Topics:

1. family research ()
2. Re: roll-call of research interests (IMANSON)
3. Re: roll-call of research interests (Frank McGonigal)
4. Re: family research (Jean Whimp)
5. MacCallum (Jean Whimp)
6. Re: MacCallum ()
7. Re: MacCallum (Jean Whimp)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:04:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:
Subject: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] family research
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Rebekah here from the Pacific NW, USA. Researching MacCallums from Mull.
Prior to 1808. Any info - thanks!

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:04:56 +1200
From: "IMANSON" <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] roll-call of research interests
Message-ID: <002a01cc4670$a92334c0$fb699e40$@co.nz>
Content-Type: text/plain;charset="us-ascii"

Hello my name is Isabella Manson, I was born in Glasgow in 1956 and came to
New Zealand as an 18month old baby with my parents.

My interest in Mull is through my father's line, as his Grandmother was a
Mary McCallum. We don't know much about her, but I do know that her Mother
married twice. Mary ended up in Glasgow as a maid, and I expect this is
where she met my Grandfather Peter Smith.

I had a trip to Scotland earlier this year, but never managed to get up
further than Glasgow. I will be back but have not done much more at this
stage about researching more into Mary McCallum, but would like to research
the McCallum line, so in the future I will know where to visit.

I feel a closeness to Mary, so this intrigues me.

Thank you, I do find the posts very interesting.

Isabella

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:59:48 +0930
From: "Jean Whimp" <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] family research
Message-ID: <000f01cc467c$845d5560$8d180020$@com.au>
Content-Type: text/plain;charset="us-ascii"

Rebekah,
My grandmother Mary Isabella MacCallum was born Tobermory. He siblings are
listed on Ian's Mull site. Her mother Catherine Maclean married John
MacCallum in 1815, but i've not been able to trace any of his history though
I do know more of Catherine's ancestry as she was from Bunessan...a daughter
of Lachlan and Mary Maclean the publican's at Bunessan. Jean whimp

grandmother Catherine MacCallum born circa 1834 Tobermory married a
Campbell in 1860 and migrated to New Zealand via Australia. You might have
a look at Ian's website for details of other maccallum (or McCallum
families. The spelling seems to vary so look at both. Jean whimp

End of SCT-ISLEOFMULL Digest, Vol 6, Issue 160
**********************************************

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
quotes in the subject and the body of the message