SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2011-07 > 1311111432

From: "Bob Murray" <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] roll-call of research interests
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:37:12 +0100

My name is Bob Murray and I live in St. Andrews on the east coast of
Scotland. I am a second cousin to Alex Fletcher, Bunnesan, who gave his
interests just recently. He gave details of his great great grandfather John
who is also my great great grandfather. Alex's grandfather was Alexander
Fletcher, son of Donald. He was the second youngest of that large family and
was born on 21 November 1856 at Lochdonhead. My grandfather Donald Fletcher
was the next and last of that family born 13 June 1859 also at Lochdonhead.
He married a Perthshire farmer's daughter and had only one child, my
mother. We believe that our family came from Glen Cannel, possibly from Glen
Orchy in Perthshire before that, but we have not been able to trace John's
birth or his parents. We guess that he was born between 1775 and 1781 and
know that he married Catherine McFarlane in Glasgow on 22 November 1803 (I
have a copy of the marriage certificate) and had about 12 children. His
eldest son Donald Fletcher (1804-1884) married Sarah Marion MacPhail
(1812-1872) in Mull and had about 12 children, many of whom settled around
Salen. We know that Sarah Marion's parents were Archibald MacPhail
(1781-1837) and Anne MacPherson (1788-1875). Sadly we have been unable to
trace Archibald's parents although his grave is in Pennygown Cemetery. The
Fletchers and the MacPhails farmed in neighbouring glens and there was a
great deal of inter-marriage among them. My cousin Alex's eldest sister
still farms with her husband the same croft at Lochdonhead which has been
in the family all these many years. Alex had his DNA recorded recently and
we are hoping that in time some further relationships will emerge.

This thread: