SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2011-04 > 1303342784

From: "MF" <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Registration of events in Mull
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 00:41:36 +0100

Janet

Prior to 1855, the Parish Church did the recording.

>From 1855 onwards, there would have been a Council Office for BDM
registration. There would have been at least one for each parish. Tobermory,
Lochdonhead, Bunessan and probably another couple dotted around the island.
The records would then have been submitted to Edinburgh.

Many marriages were cross-parish (groom from one, bride from another).
Families continually moved around the island, and the Census returns will
reflect the movement (and change of parish name)

Michael