SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2011-04 > 1301964672

From: Libby McMillan <>
Subject: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] McMillan, McIntyre, McDonald and McCormack
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 10:51:12 +1000

I wonder if anyone might have come across any connections to my family. I have a mystery - because of the information recorded on the death certificates of both of my great great grandparents in Victoria Australian. Their parents, as recorded on their death certificates, does not seem to lead to any further clarification of their families.

Archibald McMILLAN

Birth record: no information to date
Marriage record: 20 March 1815, Parish of Kilninian and Kilmore
Census record 1851: Oskamull, Mull Scotland
Immigration: 1853, on the New Zealander landing in Portland Victoria (HIES)
Death record: 29 Dec 1871, Tahara, Shire of Portland, Victoria Australia
Parents as stated on his death certificate: Archibald McMillan and Christina McCormack
Informant as stated on death certificate: Son - Angus McMillan who had come to Australia before the rest of the family.

It has been suggested that perhaps Archibald was likely to be the son of John McMillan and Christian McDonald - Christened 9 April 1786, Kilninian and Kilmore. The birth place is said to be Eddey, Mull.

Flora McMILLAN nee McINTYRE

Birth record: no information to date
Marriage record: 20 March 1815, Parish of Kilninian and Kilmore
Census record 1841 and 1851: Oskamull, Mull, Scotland
Immigration: 1853, on the New Zealander landing in Portland Victoria (HIES)
Death record: 27 September 1870, Watercourse, near Branxholme, Victoria Australia
Parents as stated on her death certificate: Angus McIntyre and Christina McCormack
Informant as stated on death certificate: John McDonald from Skye who was the father-in-law of their son, John McMillan who had married Margaret 'Peggy' McDonald.

Flora and Archibald McMillan had the following children.
1. Angus 20 May 1819 - 17 Jan 1902 in Victoria, Australia
2. Marion (Sarah) Abt 1822 (39 in 1861 census) - 6 Dec 1906 (I am not sure about the death details, but I know that she married Neil Maclean and stayed in Mull.
3. Ann Abt 1824 - 18 April 1890 in Victoria, Australia
4. Christina (Christy) 26 Feb 1826 - 19 June 1870 in Victoria, Australia
5. Mary 27 Jan 1829 - not sure if she came to Australia or not
6. John 27 Nov 1830 - 16 June 1923 (my great grandfather) in Victoria Australia
7. Alexander 4 March 1835 - unknown (lost track of him in Australia)

Perhaps someone can make a connection or perhaps provide me with some clues.
Regards
Libby McMillan

Elizabeth K McMillan -
Australia