SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2010-08 > 1282744722

From: "Frank McGonigal" <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Y DNA TESTING
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:58:42 -0400

Jean
I live in Canada but was born in Clydebank Scotland in 1932 and came to
Canada in 1957,my adopted brother was born in Glasgow 1928 and remained in
Scotland,he died in 1987.HIs son asked me to try and find some living
relatives.
Finding his birth mother was easy,as was tracing her ancestors.She died in
1965.

There was no father listed on my brothers birth Registration,so after trying
a few things without success I sent my nephew a Y DNA kit. from
http://www.familytreedna.com/

When you have your Y DNA tested with familytreedna you can allow them to
post the results to their website along with an E Mail addy for contact
purposes.
You can also post a Gedcom if you wish.
I can't explain it all in detail,I suggest that you go to
http://www.familytreedna.com/ and see the way it's set up.

The only reason that I was able to match my nephews Y DNA with the MacDonald
person is that he had his Y DNA done and it was posted on the list of
matches along with an E Mail addy.

Although I have my brothers ancestors starting in Inverness,I don't have his
natural fathers name,he must have been a MacDonald who was in Glasgow in
1928 when he made my brothers mother pregnant...working forward from an
ancestor is MUCH more difficult than going backwards..can anyone suggest an
easy way ??...No success yet in finding the fathers name.

By the way,I'm told that the Y DNA testing done by familtreedna is not the
same as what the police etc use.

Frank