SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2010-08 > 1282688634

From: "Frank McGonigal" <>
Subject: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Y DNA TESTING
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:23:54 -0400

Hi
I used Familytreedna to trace my adopted brothers family.

First I traced his mothers line to CAMPBELLS and LAURIES in Wigtownshire,but
couldn't find any info on his natural father.
He wasn't on his birth Reg.as he was illegimitate,..so I sent my adopted
brothers son a Y DNA kit from Familytreedna.

Luckily I found a perfect match on the website to someone who had his Y DNA
tested by the company.
I contacted him and he sent me his family tree.

Ironically the male line are MacDONALDS who were survivors of the Glencoe
massacre by the 'CAMPBELLS' and who settled in Inverness.
One branch came to the Seaforth area in Ontario and the one that matched the
Y DNA now lives in B.C.

We exchanged photos of him and my adopted brother and the resemblance is
remarkable.

I have had my Y DNA and Mtdna tested ,but other than finding a two fairly
close McGonigals in California and Mississippi..one a former policeman and
one a former fighter pilot ...I haven't had any great break throughs...but
I'm glad that I had it done,it could still prove useful.

Cheers
Frank McGonigal Ont.Canada
PS..My adopted brother also married a Campbell from Glasgow !..his son was
kicked out of a pub in Glencoe when they found out his mother was a
Campbell.
His drinking buddies told the barman as a joke !

~~~~~~~~

> From: "Graham Hayden"
> Subject: FW: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] DNA testing
> Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:21:46 +1000
>
> Dear List
>
> For those that are interested in DNA, Family Tree Maker in the US provide
> an
> excellent service.
>
> I live in Australia and applied for a kit at was a very reasonable price.
>
> On their site they have also created a number of Surname Groups and it is
> worth having a look at
>
> www.familytreedna.com
>
> Regards
> Graham Hayden