SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2010-08 > 1282162424

From: Frances Caple <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Mull Genealogy
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:13:44 +0000 (GMT)

>> There is no entry for a marriage in Banff, nor Tobermory, Salen or Kilfinichen.  <<<

Janet just a thought if they had a child in 1855 then get the birth cert because on the birth records for 1855 date and place of parents marriage is included, that was why I bought my ggrandfathers (b1850) younger sisters birth cert as she was born March 1855 and it is the only record of the marriage, Jo Currie told me about this being on 1855 records,

best thoughts Frances

Frances Caple
Isle of Lewis

Hello James,  Thank you so much for giving us this insight.   Do you have any thoughts or
ideas on why a CAMPBELL line cannot be traced back any earlier than 1797?   Do you know
anything about how Scots migrated to Mull from the North of Scotland?  I believe its
possible they came when the fishing industry was being developed in Mull.   The Gaelic
Society of Inverness seems to have known something about it.
I have a Duncan CAMPBELL born Mull about 1797 who fathered with Margaret McKINNON whose
parents may have been John McKINNON and Mary McLEAN but I think I have found more than one
family about the same time whose parents had those names.
The son of Duncan Campbell and Margaret McKinnon, one David CAMPBELL whose marriage to
Elizabeth INNES born Banff  for whom I have not yet identified or purchased the OPR but
their first son was born 27 June 1848 so, presuming - which I dont like to do often -
Elizabeth met David Campbell in Mull the time frame for their arriving in Mull would be
about 1847.  There is no entry for a marriage in Banff, nor Tobermory, Salen or
Kilfinichen.    Interestingly, their second son John had the middle name "BUCHANAN" so its
possible it has a significance in the identity of grand parents.
Is any of this familiar or am I truly in a dry stone wall.

Janet

This thread: