SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2009-11 > 1258660822

From: "Mildred Robson" <>
Subject: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Gaelic names in Mull of Kintyre & Thompson/Tomsonfamily
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:00:22 -0000

Dear Listers,
I would be grateful for any help on the name Kilcolemceal/Kilcolemkill which
in Balston's life of William Martin is stated as being at "the southern end
of the peninsula"
William Martin [1772-1851] was the grandson of Richard Thompson [1726-18??]
and his wife Ann Ridley [my 4 X's Great Grandparents] who were born at Tow
House, Henshaw, Haltwhistle in Northumberland.
Richard was a yeoman, who in 1776 moved to farm on the Duke of Argyll's
estate, taking William Martin with him. William apparently had problems
with the local boys until he learnt Gaelic.
There is no farm or village on modern maps of the area with a name like
Kilcolemceal near the southern coast. I did wonder if the farm Richard went
too was at Kilmichael, near Campbeltown, but have no proof of where he
farmed as my enquiries of the Duke of Argyle's estate were unhelpful, in
that there is no archivist at the castle to search estate papers.
One of William's sisters Ann [1783-1879] was born at Thomas's farm according
to Balston's book.
Richard Thompson died before 1813, as his wife died then in Newcastle upon
Tyne, after returning some time between 1803 and 1813, to live with her
daughter Isabel and Isabel's husband Fenwick Martin, who were the parents of
William and Ann and also John Martin [1789-1854] Painter and Jonathan Martin
[1782-1838], a religious fanatic who set fire to York Minster.
If I knew where Kilcolemceal/Kilcolemkill was I could try to discover when
Richard died and where he is buried.
To add more interest in the area, a Jane Thompson [3X's great grandmother]
was baptised at Southend parish, Mull on 24th August 1779, parents Jonathon
Thompson and Janet Andrew. This Jane came to Northumberland and married an
Elliot at Haltwhistle and in the Haltwhistle baptism register at the
baptisms of two of her children, she is described as " a native of Keel
Collum Sheel [sic] Argyle" and as a native of Southend, Scotland.
It may be that Jane was a granddaughter of Richard Thompson as he had a son
named Jonathon.
Regards,
Mildred Robson

This thread: